Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM myths ----PIOG

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:34 AM
  • 20 Replies

What are some common myths or stereotypes that you have heard about SAHMs.

Some common (and untrue) things I have recently heard are that we are...

lazy, uneducated, unmotivated throwbacks to the 50's, that we watch tv all day, that we stay home because we can't get a job or handle the pressure of the work force, that we are wasting our lives or our talents, that its not "really" work since we do not get a pay check, and my favorite of all.... is that we are not "providing" for our children... ugg I HATE that one.

Anyone else have any other annoying stereotypes or myths that they hear over and over again?

Extended breastfeeding (breast is best anyone that tells you differently is 100% wrong)... no formula for my little guys, Extended rear facing and harnessing.. If you are not rear facing to the MAX you are not doing everything you can to protect your child), homeschooling, mommy to 2 wonderful little boys!!!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carliemarie1015
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:37 AM

that they're "doormats" b/c they're husbands are "head of the household"...that one is my favorite.

it's like...really?

poptart0325
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I think you pretty much covered everything I've heard.  I don't listen to what anyone says though because I know that I'm working just as hard at home as my DH is at his full-time job.  He'd be the first to tell anyone that too!

mom2LandL
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:12 PM

That taking care of the kids and the house is only MY responsibility.  My hubby helps out alot.  A SAHM never gets a break, they don't get to leave their job, they don't get a lunch hour, or a vacation day.  Some days the kids are just so crazy I hardly get to wash a cup, so when my hubby gets here he helps clean.  Some days I just really don't want to cook dinner, so my hubby will get it ready.  We help each other out.  For the most part, yeah, I do most of the cooking and cleaning, but when he is home we really work together.

kansan-moma
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM

the wasting our lives away.. is the saddest one to me..... Do people really think that me staying home to love and take care of my daughter instead of some stranger is a waste of time? I just don't get it....

I know I am were God, my daughter, and my husband want me to be... and were I want to be... Thats all that matters. :)

lovegrace222
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I have full time job out side the home and I can't wait for the day that I can be a stay at home mom,  not for any of the reasons you said.. but because for me if I'm a sahm, then I can provide the best for my child by being there for them, raising them myself!  to me taking care of another human being is the biggest and most important job anyone could ever do!  I look foward to the day when I can keep a cleaner house(I said cleaner because i understand that even sahm--have time crunches from time to time) and can teach my kids values and life lessions that I simple wouldn't have time to do if I'm at work 8-10 hrs a day!   So don't let anyone put you down!  sahm is the best job ever!  so from a working mom... I don't look down on you i just wished i was one  too!

Kriissii
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I don't have any new ones but I hate when my husband comes home and I say I need a break and he just looks at me and says " why you don't even do anything all day"    I can't wait to get a paying job...  not because I don't love being with my babies all day but because I want to have an idea of what is goin on with our finances...   i just want to say   men are buttholes

Kriissii
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I have also had my husband tell me that everything around the house is my job...I literally do everything including ironing and setting his uniforms out for him every week day   god forbid i ask him to take the trash out  =/

Marimaru
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Quoting Kriissii:

I don't have any new ones but I hate when my husband comes home and I say I need a break and he just looks at me and says " why you don't even do anything all day"    I can't wait to get a paying job...  not because I don't love being with my babies all day but because I want to have an idea of what is goin on with our finances...   i just want to say   men are buttholes

I would spend a few days not doing anything all day (except what's really necessary) and when he starts griping, just tell him that you TOLD him you needed a break, so you took it.

Marimaru

Mommy of Isabelle Rose, born 10/11/2009

mavcoed
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Quoting Marimaru:

Quoting Kriissii:

I would spend a few days not doing anything all day (except what's really necessary) and when he starts griping, just tell him that you TOLD him you needed a break, so you took it.

i did this. and after i did i never heard my husband complain.

sdwyer
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I've only heard the ones that have already been listed and they're all bs. Sure I've had days when I've been sick so my 2 year old and I will watch disney movies or something relaxing, but I still do what needs to be done. Luckily, my husband knows it's hard too so he's never once told me I don't do anything all day because he knows how hard it is. He's watched our girls a few times by himself for maybe a couple hours at a time and he was so frazzled when I got home lol. So anyone who says being a SAHM is easy work is full of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)