• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pop rocks?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:52 AM
  • 17 Replies

I don't if this has been a post before but I just saw this on the news apparently it's like a new thing to give babies and little kids pop rocks and video tape their response and put it on youtube.  Umm... isn't that basically borderline abuse? Or am I overreacting?  I think that's awful!! Why would that be funny at all?

Totally blew my mind that people would do that... sorry if you're one of those people but I think that's ridiculous.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
czchtaclo13
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I just saw that video a few minutes ago. I dont really know what to think. The baby wasnt upset, but I dont know. I wouldnt give it to my baby. I dont consider it abuse, but I think its wrong.

mom2mandjax
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I wouldn't give them to a baby, but giving them to a dog is just funny! As long as you are willing to deal with the drool. We used to give them to our Mastiff and laugh for hours.

saduncan
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:06 PM

lmao  How exactly is giving your child candy abuse?  Come on.  Maybe that's not the best choice, but it's just sugar, it will dissolve.  Most kids just get surprised by it!  No harm in it.  I haven't tried them with my DD yet, but I'm sure she'll think it's fun!

cbarna281
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Don't really see a difference between doing this or giving them a lemon and watching the reaction.

I personally don't do or laugh at either.

poptart0325
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I don't see it as abuse.  It's candy.  It's like giving a kid one of those sour War Head things and watching their reaction.  My 4 & 5 year old cousins have asked for pop rocks before because they wanted to try it.  Their reaction to it was funny, but they really liked it.  My DD has eaten pop rocks before.  They came with one of those frozen meals that her cousins were eating.  You had to mix them in with the pudding.  Her cousins gave her a taste and they popped in her mouth and she just laughed.  My DD is 21 months.  I wouldn't do it for the purpose of entertaining myself or anyone else though.

kristin_1984
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:13 PM

i agree

Quoting saduncan:

lmao  How exactly is giving your child candy abuse?  Come on.  Maybe that's not the best choice, but it's just sugar, it will dissolve.  Most kids just get surprised by it!  No harm in it.  I haven't tried them with my DD yet, but I'm sure she'll think it's fun!

shamillionaire
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I don't find it funny... But after I watched that video is where I found the video of the parents giving their baby a habanero pepper and that is awful!

squishylove
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:14 PM

I guess it wouldn't be a big deal if the kid was 2 or older, but a 5 month old baby... come on.  That's cruel.

sweettigeress
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:17 PM

That is a bit extreme. A 5m old shouldn't be having candy to begin with.

Quoting squishylove:

I guess it wouldn't be a big deal if the kid was 2 or older, but a 5 month old baby... come on.  That's cruel.

TempestRayne
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I wouldn't call it cruel, the child was inno way harmed by it..it's candy that pops. it's not painful in any way, just feels weird. However, I don't think giving a five month old candy is a good diea either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)