Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tell me about your experience with an IUD

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:10 PM
  • 46 Replies

Poll

Question: how was/is your experience with an iud

Options:

good experience

bad experience

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 36

View Results

i am going through my options for birth control, and i hate the pill, can't do the shot, so i'm left with the nuva ring, or mirena.. and i am considering them both..

i've heard horror stories about mirena, so tell me your opinon..

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3babies1987
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Well I have heard that the NuvaRing hurts your partner when they hit it. And the Mirena freaking sucks. Try implanon.

ajtherad
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:15 PM

The Mirena is a piece of crap, made me gain weight and prevented me from losing it..and I'm not alone on that!

I just switched it out for the Paragard today, so I'll have to get back to you on how it is.

ajtherad
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Oh, the Mirena did keep me baby-free for the almost 3 years I had it. But the weight issue was too much to handle. And the Paragard is non-hormonal, which is AWESOME.

tbursac777
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM

implanon freaks me out. haha. i'll have to look into paraguard..

Quoting 3babies1987:

Well I have heard that the NuvaRing hurts your partner when they hit it. And the Mirena freaking sucks. Try implanon.

Mama2Jackson
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Good post.  I'd like to hear more too.  I've heard horror stories about Mirena too and that's what I was considering.

rockinmomto2
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:35 PM

I have the Mirena, and I've had it for about 5 months now. I spotted for about 6 weeks after it was put in, but other than an occational spot here and there, I've had no bleeding. I've also had no other side effects.It's awesome, and I recommend it to anyone!

DylansMom213
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:44 PM

The Mirena is absolutely awful...at least it was for me, anyway. I had it in for about 5 months and I bled the entire time...like a heavy period the whole time. I didn't gain any weight or anything though. I just bled and had terrible cramps the whole entire time...and the strings freaked out my husband, I guess he thought he'd accidentally pull it out or something. Anyway we got tired of always having our "intimate time" in the shower and I got tired of cramps so I had it removed.

poshkat
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:49 PM

i have the paraguard, its nice. i didnt gain weight from it, but my periods are irregular now and when the come they are heavier, but not much more painful than usual. i've been baby free for 2 years now and plan on keeping it that way for the rest of the 8 years i have this thing in

EMMYBEARSMOMMY
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Quoting rockinmomto2:

I have the Mirena, and I've had it for about 5 months now. I spotted for about 6 weeks after it was put in, but other than an occational spot here and there, I've had no bleeding. I've also had no other side effects.It's awesome, and I recommend it to anyone!

me too! I cramped for about 6 months but that passed and I love it.

3babies1987
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I just hate the Mirena which I still have because I have been stabbed by the strings, fiance gets stabbed by the strings, I have had damn near every side effect that comes with the damn thing, and now I think I may be pregnant with the damn thing. Get something else...mirena sucks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)