Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Overweight and Pregnant??

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:17 PM
  • 16 Replies

I need some advice and thought who more qualified then my cafe mom women!! I have a almost 3 year old daughter(She will be 3 June 7th) and I and my spouse are more then ready for another baby. I am a SAHM mom and I think now is a GREAT time to have another child. I don't want my babies to be to far away in age.

Anyways, the problem I am having is, I am 240 pounds, and I am terrified that if I let myself get pregnant, then maybe something will happend because of my weight. I was 186 pounds when I got pregnant with my daughter and I only gained 20 pounds through my pregnancy (the rest of the weight came after delivery). I had a GREAT pregnancy with her but now I am 54 pounds heavier. Iwant to lose weight but it hasn't been that easy for me..I just recently lost 15 pound but I am ata stand still and now I want to have another baby so bad, that I can't stand it!

I was just wondering if any of you have any advice or stories tat could help me make a decision??? Thanks :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

I am a cook, a housekeeper, a parent, a teacher, a referee, a nanny, a nurse, a handy man, a maid, security, and a comforter. I don't get holiday, sick pay, or a day off. I work every day and am on call every night. I am underpaid and overworked. Now... tell me that YOUR job is harder then mine.

girl giving flower

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaPeanut
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I would talk it over with your Doctor.  A lot depends on your actual health, too.  Like do you have healthy blood pressure, no diabetes, etc. 

If your Dr. gives the ok, then I'd go for it.  20 pounds is a good amount to gain throughout pregnancy, and you could work on losing it after baby.

NatHaileysmom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I was 186 before getting prego and since my first I have been 250 now im on my 3rd pregnancy (with twins) and im 275 I havent had ANY problems I just have a lot of weight to lose when im done!

RybugsMommy07
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:32 PM

There are tons and tons of larger women having babies all the time (no offense to anyone) the only thing that would even come close to a problem is just losing the weight in the end i would talk to your doctor if he said theres no problem then i say go ahead good luck!!

AHamrick
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I weighed 233 lbs at my first prenatal appointment. I am now 35 weeks pregnant and weigh 257. Meaning I've only gained 24 lbs. I haven't had any problems at all during this pregnancy. When I was pregnant with my dd, however, I was very close to having gestational diabetes, and I did have high blood pressure. I weighed about 200 lbs when I got pregnant with her, and gained about 35 lbs during that pregnancy. So, really it just depends. Good luck with whatever you decide.

April ~ Proud Mommy to August Skyla, Loving wife to Curtis, And expecting a handsome little boy in July!

jessarendt22
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I was a little overweight when i got pregnant with my DD but I was really sick through my pregnancy and lost 35 pounds and never really put it back on , so i always joke pregnancy is the best diet I ever had lol. So maybe getting preggo you'll lose some weight as well?

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I just had a baby Tuesday and was 265 when I started that pregnancy. I had gestational diabetes but otherwise a very healthy and easy pregnancy. I actually ended my pregnancy at 252. And she is gorgeous and perfect.

MamaTaj
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone!! I am glad that I am not getting a bunch of negative feedback...You guys are wonderful! I will keep you posted!

Rav3ness
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:58 PM
i weight 242 at my first prenatal appt. i am now 232. i have had the best pregnancy imaginable. but like another post said im sure it really boils down to how healthy you are. if u do get preg. i would say continue to work out, but take it easy and dont over do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaBoop922
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:59 PM

There are a lot of great resources out there for women who are overweight and want to get pregnant or are pregnant... Your doctor will be able to guide you and you will be put on a normal regiment like everyone else, just the range of weight gain they will want for you will be more btw 15-20 lbs... Of course you are at a higher risk for having thinks like gestational diabetes but its treatable and avoidable as long as you make smart decisions during your pregnancy (like eating more while grains, fruits, and veggies).   Its definitely good to discuss it with your doctor and maybe consider seeing a dietician to help you with the diet so you feel comfortable... funny enough most women, esp. overweight tend to lost a few pounds and first and kind of level out.  

I'd say if you want another baby and you feel like you are ready then go for it!! Just make sure you are taking the necessary steps to ensure both you and your baby are healthy!! Good Luck!! 

:)

momofqxb
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:19 PM

i was 175-180 with my first gained almost 100 lbs, ugh. with my second i can't remember what i started out at, but gained 13-15lbs, and with this one, I started out at 250, and am now at 261, all of my kids have been healthy so far. I haven't changed any of my eating habits, but after this one, i have every intention of getting down to at least 150. it'll be a long hard road, but that is my goal. Good Luck, and best wishes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)