Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of pets do you think are okay to have around children?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:07 PM
  • 18 Replies

I am just really bored sitting at home playing with my pet and it crossed my mind how many people would think I am crazy for having the pet I have with a 5 year old a 2 year old and me being pregnant!!

So I am asking you lady's!! What are the pets that you would NEVER bring around your children and what are the pets you would?

Oh ya I have a 4 foot python named Eden : )

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NSeni
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Snakes, farrots, tarantula's...

MooreMom523
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:09 PM

I think most pets are ok if supervised and cared for properly. The only animal I have heard a lot of not so great things about when dealing with young kids is Turtles because of salmonella. A dog can be a good pet or a bad pet--just like almost any other.

My child had better not be allergic to anything..we have 3 dogs and 1 cat :)

MooreMom523

Oh Parrots and young kids are tough to mix because of biting tendencies.

DylansMom213

Lol I would never have a snake, but that's not because I have a kid! It's because I'm such a fraidy cat....snakes scare the crap outta me! I prefer the puppies and kittens, myself, but won't have any until I'm done with kids and they're all old enough to understand they have to be nice.

wiferichie
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:10 PM

idk.... a bear? haha... i've owned all kinds of pets, including a snake

Sweet_Holly
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:12 PM

uhm well with how My DS is hyper and does everything he knows he isn't suppose to I could never get a reptile or tarantula.

But however I don't think any pet is bad to have around kids if they are closely watched.

I have a pitbull and alot of people bash that.. idgaf I only love pits and plan on getting another pit after I have baby#2.

poptart0325
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 9:45 AM

My DH had a Columbian Boa named Elenore while we were dating.  When I found out I was pregnant, I asked him if we could get rid of her.  I'm terrified of snakes to begin with and the thought of having her around an infant scared the shit out of me.  So no snakes for us!  lol.

The pets we have had around our DD is an African Spur-Thigh Tortoise, a Bearded Dragon and dogs.  We are thinking of getting a cat because we think she loves cats more than anything else.

I definitely wouldn't have pet snakes or pet spiders.  I hate them both!  lol.

angi07
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 9:49 AM
I would never own a snake I honestly don't consider them pets they're just for show and shock factor but that's just my opinion though! Everyone I know that had snakes collects and breeds them they treat It like a hobby of sorts but I would never have them in my home. We have a geuine pig named Darby my kids love her and she loves them only down side my 2 year old keeps asking me if she can talk his favorite movie is the chipmunks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstevens10
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I wouldn't have any . snakes scorpions spiders... just antyhing like that I wouldn't have.

xxLukesMamaxx
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 7:48 PM

a porcupine lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)