Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

milk and eczema

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM
  • 18 Replies

hi all :)

DD has eczema

ive disinfected our carpets to eliminate the idea of bed bugs causeing it. no change

added live bacteria to milk. some small improvement

im thinking now to try eliminating cows milk and see if any improvement.

background she was exclusivly breastfed first 19months then cows milk was introduced. i believe the eczema may of started around the age of 1.

****** so if i eliminate cows milk what milk should i replace it with?

thankyou

Breastfed/self weaned(19mths), Nigerian Australian toddler

baby

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CMcLaws
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:41 PM

BUMP!! 

I don't know, Hun! My DD has had Eczema since 1 as well. She's 2 now, and this past year has been a nightmare. It has gotten worse and worse and I can't seem to keep it under control anymore. :-( 

lawmom27
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:43 PM
Enfamil makes a special formula for toddler. Comes in regular chocolate and vanilla. More pricey but maybe worth a shot!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowRaven
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM

My ds has a cow's milk sensitivity and is allergic to soy, so we use rice milk.

hopeandglory53
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Take her to an allergist if you can. I found out that my daughter had so many allergies that were causing her eczema to flare up! When I eliminated it all, well, her eczema is looking pretty darn good now!

(This is advice to EVERYONE with children with eczema!)

butterflyblu
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Sometimes children who are allergic or sensitive to dairy are the same with soy.  Using a next step formula won't help because it's milk based.  I'd try rice milk or almond milk instead.  Just watch out for added sugars in the flavored kind.  I tried vanilla almond milk and it was SO SWEET I couldn't drink it.  Turns out it has added cane sugar.

hopeandglory53
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Quoting butterflyblu:

Sometimes children who are allergic or sensitive to dairy are the same with soy.  Using a next step formula won't help because it's milk based.  I'd try rice milk or almond milk instead.  Just watch out for added sugars in the flavored kind.  I tried vanilla almond milk and it was SO SWEET I couldn't drink it.  Turns out it has added cane sugar.

Thankfully, this is not always the case. I'm so glad my little one didn't have a soy allergy too, although with all her other allergies, I'm shocked she isn't.

smittendorff
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I don't have a recommendation on a type of alternative milk, but wanted to suggest Halo Technical Comfort clothing to help with the eczema.  It wicks away moisture and reduces itching and irritation caused by eczema.  Plus it is approved by the National Eczema Association.  You can get more info at www.halocomforts.com

JustUsGirls321
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:40 PM
My daughter has an allergy to cows milk so we use soy. You can also try almond milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2boyz143
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:41 PM

you can use soy milk or for me my boys are also allergic to soy so I use rice milk!

FolasadesMom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:04 PM

gosh eczema is a (insert every swear word) nightmare. pull my hair out.

anything i can do will help.

ive heard that soy can aggrivate eczema? or could disappear. depending on the childs allergies.

so ill try soy. then move on to almond then rice.... hopefully soy will work first try..

do you add vitamins to the milk? pantavite? i think its called.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)