Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling guilty about quiting breastfeeding....

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:56 AM
  • 14 Replies

Has anyone esle stopped breastfeeding before your baby was even a year old, only to later on (a month or two) consider the discision to have been a mistake. my daughter is 7 months old, I stoped when she was 5 almost 6 months and I feel like a selfish boob now. Mind u I also since am now on a anti-depressent and I also have a two year old, juggling the two lil ones and breatsfeeding and going to school on-line was getting the best of me...Or was it? Maybe i was just weak.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katieGrace
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:58 AM

I felt selfish making her stop at 14 or 15 months....  I think we just want to give our babies the best and always doubt ourselves.  Good job on the amount you did.

Brianav
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:59 AM
I quit after 2 weeks of breastfeeding and I don't regret it so idk how you feel. Don't feel bad though. Are you kids still healthy and happy eventhough you stopped bfing? :)

But here's a bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopeandglory53
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:00 AM

I stopped when I dried up with all mine...first was around 13 months, second he weaned himself (so I didn't dry up, he just didn't want momma anymore!) at 11 months, third was around 5 months, and last was around same time (I know I dried up cuz I was pregnant with 3rd, and I probably dried up with last because of stress...daddy deployed when she was only 3 months old).

av0531
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:05 AM
My son is 9 months and 2 weeks ago he weened himself and I wasn't happy at all :/ I wanted to bf for the first yr he just didn't want to!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Astaley88
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:07 AM

I quit when my son was 2mons, well in my situation my milk dried up quick. i felt really bad cause i wanted to do it longer but, he still got the most important part of the booby milk, he did and still does really well with formula. breast feeding is really demanding and painful/ messy. but it was def. a wonderful bonding moment no one else could have...but your not weak for stopping, you seem like your juggling a lot like you said, not a selfish move. she'll still be very healthy...

HotMommaStout
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:08 AM

I think it's great that you did it as long as you did, and I don't think you should feel guilty. I breastfed one for 9 months, one for 3 weeks, and one for the whole year. They are all happy and healthy.

Youngmommy22293
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:09 AM

bump!

DylansMom213
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:14 AM

Don't feel bad. Lots of people have to stop breastfeeding for whatever reasons, and some people can't do it at all, or don't want to or whatever. Just feel good about yourself for doing the best you could by your child for as long as you could. That's all we can do for our kids, is our very best!

Jillian686
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:31 AM

I was really depressed when my daughter just quit cold turkey at 11 months.  I tried over and over to get her to take it but she would just bite me as hard as she could with her sharp little teeth until I couldn't stand it, then I tried to pump for a week, pumping every 2 hours, and I could barely get anything.  I gave up, and I felt horrible about it, like if I just gritted my teeth through the pain she would eventually take it, but I tried after the first two weeks she quit to put her to the boob at least once a day for like a month and she would still bite as hard as she could,  it took a while to dry up and it hurt like hell (which probably added to being depressed about it).  I felt horrible about her stopping a month before she was a year old.

Sophie1106
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:24 AM
I understand how you feel. I was only able to breastfeed my dd for 3 weeks. She just didn't want it. She's 3 years old now and I still feel guilty about it. I'm bfing my ds right now but I have to go back to work when he's 3 months old so I will most likely stop bfing and I already feel guilty. You did great bfing for as long as you did!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)