Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cheap summer fun for the kids

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM
  • 8 Replies

I was wondering what kind of cheap stuff do you do to keep your kids busy during the summer, We live pay check to paycheck so we don't have a lot of money to spend during the summer, but I want my kids to have a fun summer right now they do play baseball, and are in the summer reading program at the library which keeps them pretty busy right now but when it ends I am trying to think of some fun activities to do with them to keep them busy and not fighting, I have four kids plus I babysit two others.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sweettigeress
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Do you have your own yard? I bought my DD a snap set pool at Walmart for only $12. It's 6' in diameter and 15" deep. She loves it. They also have cute little golf sets and bowling pin sets for $5 apiece, as well has play shovels, rakes. You can do bubbles, sidewalk chalk. You can get a huge thing of bubbles at Walmart for only $3. How old are your kids?

xxLukesMamaxx
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:53 AM

If you live near a beach or lake, it free and the kids have a great time! Also the park is another great one, or just do the sprinkler in your back yard

Sophie1106
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:56 AM
We also got a pool and cheap out door toys at Target. We do the library once a week too. And the park. There's one near us that has water fountains that the kids can play in. Maybe you can see
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sophie1106
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:58 AM
Oops didn't finish. But I was going to say maybe you can see if they have a park like that near you. A lot of movie theaters also show $1 kids movies during the summer. I know here it's every Wednesday at 10am.

Quoting Sophie1106:

We also got a pool and cheap out door toys at Target. We do the library once a week too. And the park. There's one near us that has water fountains that the kids can play in. Maybe you can see

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amy614
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Check your local library for a copy of the book "Big Messy(*but easy to clean up) Art Book"  by Maryann F. Kohl.  It is awesome, and has tons of great art suggestions that use a lot of things that you have around the house.  I love this book!  There are also several others that offer fun, inexpensive activities that you can do at home or at the park/playground.

We alslo go to the park, and on walks.  A local hotel has open swim at their pool for $5 per adult.  We keep up with some friends with playdates, alternating houses/locations.  My parents have a farm, so we go there to see the animals.  Maybe there is a farm close to you that would let you show your kids around, or maybe a petting zoo.  Biking is another great way to get out and about, have some fun, and get some exercise. 

I guess the only other suggestion I have is to tap your network of friends and family.  Even doing simple stuff with your kids takes on a new fun when done with an aunt or close friend of yours.  My sis took my lil guy for a walk at a local flower garden a year or so ago.  He and I had been there together several times, but it was a new experience to see it with her.

rh2pinkie
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:04 AM

do you have a local park? my dd is still very young, but she loves the days we go to the park!!!

mommyred9
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:28 AM

My kids are 11, 7, 6, and 4 thanks for all of the ideas we do go on walks often, we go to the park too alot because it is just down the street, we live in a very small town with nothing else for kids to do except for play at the park we have a pool too but we can't afford to go except for maybe once a week if that.

LUVMI4BOYZ
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM
Www.kidsbowlfree.com see if ur state does it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)