Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about newborns? maybe someone else went thru it?? (alittle long)

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:40 AM
  • 10 Replies

heres alittle background so you can get the whole idea.

6.21.10, the day after my daughter was born, she had a bowl movement at 5am that morning, that was the last one she had in the hospital. we got released from the hopsital that afternoon, ya we were able to go home after 24hours. well come wensday my daughter hasnt had another BM since. we had a doc apt wensday and told the doc. she told me to call the next day around 12 if he didnt poop yet.

she told me to do the thermoniter trick, i did and about an hour later she pooped. and pooped alot, what she was supost to be getting out of her system. but now shes backed up again only BM twice yesterday and hasnt had any today/this morning.

is this normal? i im breastfeeding/pumping and read that she should be pooping like every diaper or at least 4 to 5 BMs a day.

does anyone else have any other tricks. we doint go back to the doc for 2 weeks, shes not in any pain her tummy isnt really hard. im just kinda worried

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kleigh24
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:42 AM

i had to give me son suppositories when he was like 2 weeks but it did the trick and yes the doctors the one that told me to do it.

Mom2Jade08
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Hi... Well I didn't breastfeed for that long but my daughter would have about 2 BM a day, I know the books say otherwise... If you feel worried call doc... I would say its the formula, but you are breastfeediing, so I am not sure...

nattilb
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:46 AM

molasses or corn syrup (just a little) on her pacifier or in her bottle always did the trick for me!  She is just a new baby and her digestive system is not quite on track yet but as long as she isn't in any discomfort and she is eating fine then I wouldn't worry about it.  Always read your babies cues to determine if something is really wrong, they let you know when somethings up!  Making sure she is eating well is most important because if she is eating then she will need to poop.  If she is eating well then def try the molasses or corn syrup to help her constipation.  Good luck!

danyelle_123
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:48 AM

what have you been eating?  my baby gets backed up and gassy if i eat spicy food or too many gassy veggies like cabbage or broccoli or sausage.  I've also been told that breast milk is so easily digested and absorbed that sometimes babies won't have BMs everyday.  my parents told me to try syrup water with dark karo syrup.  I guess that is what they did in their day.  I almost tried it once with my middle boy but luckily he must have known what I was doing because he pood just as I was about to give it to him.  I say stick to the thermometer.  If it worked, why give baby what she doesn't need, especially if she isn't hurting or gassy?  Then talk to the doctor again in 2 weeks.  Hope this helps.

mrs.bug
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Well When my son was born. He had to stay in the hospital until he had a BM. Then when he came home he didn't have one for the first day. After that he has one about everyday. He is very regular now, but before it would take a day or two. Just put a dab of prune juice in her bottle. its what I did and he would always go then. Good luck I hope I helped some

sarah513
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:52 AM
I bf my daughter and when she was newborn she pooped maybe every 5 - 7 days. Her doctor said it was normal as long as she wasn't uncomfortable and her stomach wasn't hard. She still only poops every few days and she is healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natty100
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:54 AM
My daughtor is a month and a half old and she didn't have any bm either. She had them everyother day. I called the doc and he told me to give her 1~2 ounces of water then lay her on her tummy and massage her lower back. She would have a bm about an hour later. you can also try the syrup or 1 ounce of apple juice. The doc was the one who told me so don't think I'm crazy lol hope it helps :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveThr33
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM

It happens when you breastfeed. The things you eat can actually affect their bm's. Sometimes they don't go for a couple of days though and this is just how it goes. Not every single person goes several times a day no matter what their age and that is why you should not have concern unless the tummy is distended or you can feel a lump or the baby is cranky. If you are really concerned though, I want to suggest the most natural remedy that there is. A chiropractor. After passage through the birth canal somethings can be out of whack and they can help put them back. Being out of whack can cause bm to slow and to increase. It isn't bad to take a baby to a chiropractor. I did it for my daughter because she had colic and after there was never a problem. Just make sure to find one who is a pediatric chiropractor. 

Sophie1106
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:16 AM
My 6 week old is breastfed and goes 2, sometimes 3, times a day. I was told that's normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopeandglory53
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:06 PM

My oldest...bf...the only time she got changed was if she was poopie (which was QUITE often...like once every hour!). My other 3 didn't poop that much (thank goodness!), but my youngest sounds just like yours. She goes poop once every 3 days or so.

I was told an ounce of Karo syrup (I can't remember light or dark, but need to figure that out FIRST) in 8 ounces of water helps. I think I did it once, and yeah, it worked!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)