Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grrrr...Super pissed and tomorrow is gonna suck!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:12 AM
  • 9 Replies

My husband and I have been living here (Pennsylvania) for going on two years now. As a trained dental assistant I am VERY picky about oral hygiene and so one of the first things I did was find a family dentist and scheduled cleanings for both of us. Within days of this cleaning I found out I was pregnant. I scheduled another appointment for myself three weeks after I had my daughter to see if my teeth had incurred any damage during the pregnancy (this can happen if you are not getting the proper amounts of calcium during your pregnancy). Well lo and behold, I had THREE cavities. I was devastated and had them fixed immediately.

Fast forward to about three months ago. I am having pain in two of my fillings and my dentist refuses to see me. It's all in my head he tells me. It's all in my mouth I tell him! Needless to say, I found us a new dentist. This new dentist shows me on an x-ray how the original dentist missed some decay close to the root in two of my teeth and the filled over it, allowing the decay to continue all the way to the root and cause me terrible pain. The only fix? Two root canals! I had one two weeks ago and am going for the other tomorrow. 

Having a root canal is painful and mortifying. I am going to need caps on my two post op teeth. I have had PERFECT teeth! I have always been incredibly attentive to them for my entire life and now, because one douche bag dentist couldn't do his job with any kind of accuracy, I am going to have to suffer through this procedure and have caps in my mouth! 

Sorry this was so long :( Thank you to anyone who read all the way through my rant. Wish me luck with my root canal tomorrow, I'm gonna need it - OUCH!!!

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Sophie1106
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:18 AM
I'm sorry! I recently had two root canals done too. But that's just because my teeth suck. Lol. I guess weak teeth just run in my family. It doesn't matter how well I take care of them I still get cavities. Bleh! Anyways, hope all goes well. That's really terrible that your dentist messed up and now you have to deal with this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mezmom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:18 AM

although I don't really promote sueing I think this is something you could at least take the other dentist to court for and get him to pay for getting them redone or for some other compensation. Just make sure you have good records kept. Even if you don't want to take him to court he should be reported for bad practice.

MeggerSmith
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Yea I feel you on the pregnancy ruining teeth!! Im scared to go to dentist after this baby! I had Hypermysis with my DD so I puked every 5 mins for the first 6-7 months so brushing teeth was a pain cause I was trying to do it after each time but thats kind of hard when your puking that much. Had my DD, scheduled a dental apt for cleaning ( Im on blood thinners so its a long process because I have to make sure my INR and PT levels are right before having ANY surgical or dental procedure done and of course they werent so had to reschedule twice) 3 months after DD is born finally get one scheduled that I can go to and guess what happens BFP! lol so cant go to dentist. And I have HG again this pregnancy so more puking ALL the time! So needless to say just by looking at my teeth I can tell that arent as prefect as they were before 2 pregnancy. :( I had prefect teeth before now Im scared to get yelled at by the dentist because of it even though I know it isnt my fault.

DylansMom213
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I never had one cavity in my life until I got married. Then I got I think two or three really small ones (I had an awful habit of taking a can of Coke to bed with me!), and never got another one...until I got pregnant! I had to get one root canal, two crowns, and two or three more fillings! Awful! I plan on doing every thing I possibly can the next time I get pregnant to prevent that from happening again! Good luck tomorrow, root canals suck!

t1gger143
by Katie on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:38 AM

I never had a cavity until my boys. I also have bone loss in my jaw too.

JMKristy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Ouch. Sorry! I would submit the x rays to the previous dentist, showing that he missed the decay. I would expect him to pay any cost you may incur b/c of his mistake.

mega.momma
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Thanks for the support ladies! I had my records transferred from the old dentist and of course, they are poorly documented. My new dentists said that there is very little to use as leverage and that dentists can often get away with shoddy work simply by saying decay was "impossible to remove completely". Apparently, that is sometimes the case, but many dentists use it as a cop out if they miss something. All I can say is thankfully we have good dental insurance and the majority of this covered. I will, however, have to cough up some serious money if I want white caps though. Insurance will only pay for silver ones and my husband said "NO f'ing way". He insists that I had perfect teeth for 24 years and we aren't gonna screw up the way they look now with silver caps, lol. Appointment at 1:45, ahhh! I hate, HATE, HATE this! 

mrseckstein
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:04 AM
ouch im sooo sorry:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vicki1130
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I've managed to make it to 28, and through two children, without any cavities at all. I take care of my teeth, but I haven't been good about going to the dentist like I should. My friend, who religiously goes to the dentist, had one of her teeth partially break off shortly after giving birth and had to have the root canal. From the level of pain she was in (and she's super tolerant of pain.. I'm a wuss lol) I wouldn't wanna go through one let alone two within weeks of each other.

All I can say about your situation is that doc's (not matter what particular area of the body they specialize in) should stop thinking they know a patient's body better than the patient. I've wanted to smack more than one for telling me it's all in my head.

follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/Apologetics_n_Discussion
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)