Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hearing loss at 23? PIOG

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:57 AM
  • 3 Replies

I've had hearing issues for a loooooong time, but its getting to the point where it effects my every day life. I talk louder because I cant hear myself talk, I hear ringing in my ears atleast 3-4 times a day for about 10-20 minutes at a time, I have to have the TV / Radio louder than everyone else needs, just so I can understand. I constantly am asking others to repeat their words. Well I have an appt. with an ENT on the 26th, and im terrified as to what they're going to say. I have had severe ear infections into my teenage years. At 15, I had double ear infections for 6 months! Was on sooo many rounds of antibiotics, they finally had to drain my ears. But ive had soo many im afraid that is the reason, and there will be no natural repair going on. Have any of you had issues with hearing? Know what to expect from my appt? I swear, I cant catch a break! First its a lump in my breast (which is fine, its a fibroid, but still scary) now its this. What's next?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Jillian686
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:24 AM

My husband had to have ear surgery in Feb of 2009, he was 23 at the time.  His situation was a little different than yours though, he was born 2 months premature and in addition to the back part of his palate (sp?) never fully forming, the tubes in his ears that drain excess fluid weren't fully formed either.  He went through several surgeries (they put tubes in his eardrums) when he was a kid, but when he flew from South Carolina to Washington state he couldn't relieve the pressure in his ears.  This went on for almost a year (he hates going to the doctor unless absolutely necessary or ordered to by the military) when he was preparing for deployment he failed his hearing test and was ordered to go to the ENT.  We found out that the pressure had crushed the tiny bones in the inner ear and they had to put in prosthetic ones.  As well as a mastoidectomy.  He still has a little trouble hearing on that side, though he passed his hearing test, and they wouldn't let him deploy because the surgery was only 3 months before deployment and the minimum is six months.  The only real problem he has from it is if he hears a very loud high pitched noise (like our daughter's screaming) it makes the titanium prosthetic bones ring and it is painful.  My best friend from high had many many problems with ear infections and finally ended up having to have a double mastoidectomy her freshmen year in high school, and she hasn't had problems since.  If I were you I would definitely do something about it sooner than later,  my husband is a prime example of his fear and outright hatred of all things hospital related making him hold off on doing something about it until way too late.

fairymom2316
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:18 PM

BUMP!

Mama2ETA
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 1:12 PM

thank you ladies. i cant imagine having surgery on my ears....eek

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)