Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son will not eat anything I make for dinner.

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM
  • 12 Replies

He is four and he eats breakfast and lunch no problem. He loves oatmeal, cereal, waffles, eggs and toast. He loves any kind of sandwich, hot dogs,  chips, fruits, crackers. But no matter what I make for dinner he wont touch it. I have to force him to even try what I make and he'll put it in his mouth and literally start gagging and eventually spit the mush out. Doesn't matter what it is, pasta, hamburgers, steak, potatoes (mashed, baked, doesn't matter), chicken, chili, casseroles, soups, NOTHING!!! I don't know what do to get him to eat. I put his meal in the fridge every night and tell him if he's hungry later he can eat his dinner. Then later he'll say he's hungry and I'll say okay eat your dinner and he'll say, "never mind, I'm not hungry". UGH!

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erikays
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:03 PM
Mine did this til he would go to bed w/o eating! He will not starve I promise! Now mine LOVES beef stroganoff and lasagna and FISH! (He's 5.5 btw)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxLukesMamaxx
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:08 PM

My son doesn't even like pizza! It's crazy, I just don't get it!

erikays
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:35 PM
Mine doesn't like icecream! Every kid has their dislikes but honestly over time they get to like it! Your palette changes every 7 yrs! I use to haaate onions now I love them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BelliesMami
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:40 PM

YAY!

OK well not really but at least now I know I'm not alone. My 3.5 year old DD is the SAME EXACT way. I really have no clue what to do either! Hopefully someone will have some ideas.

xxLukesMamaxx
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Well I'm glad to know I'm not alone!

melissalynn669
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:09 PM

OMG!!!! Thats my son too he is also four yrs old.. We have tried everything with him we made him go to bed with no t.v, we would make him sit at the table til he ate but he would fall asleep at the table.. lol.. I dont know what to tell you hon b/c I'm still going through it too. but good luck to ya, and if you find something that works LET ME KNOW!!!!

mommyofmaknchz
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:11 PM

have you tried fixing that stuff for lunch?

WesAndNicksMom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:13 PM

i just wrap it up and put it in the fridge and tell him that's the only thing he can eat if he gets hungry later.  we also do the thing where you have to take as many bites as you are old.  my 6yo is the same as your son and it's a struggle every night to get some decent food inside of him!

krystledawn7
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:15 PM

My son's pedi always told me to tell him thats dinner and if he doesn't eat it then he can go to bed without dinner. She said that he will NOT go hungry. He will eat if hes hungry. My son had a problem eating ANY meal. He just wanted milk. So i finally just put my foot down and said this is it, eat it or dont eat anything. He is 2 1/2 now and eats just about everything! Even Salmon!!

MegaMutant
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I have to agree with this. From what I've read, it seems to be the most tried and true method.

Quoting erikays:

Mine did this til he would go to bed w/o eating! He will not starve I promise! Now mine LOVES beef stroganoff and lasagna and FISH! (He's 5.5 btw)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)