Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IM SHOCKED WIC told me not to........

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM
  • 143 Replies

rearface after she reaches 20 lbs she is only 19lbs 13 oz today. i told them i was going to continue tp keep her rearfacing and im a shocked to say that they told me it wasnt safe! they said that  they have enough muscle strength to handle a crash sitting forward facing, im dumbfounded as  you would think wic and thr dr office would encourage ERF.

i go to see my dr tomarrow! well she what she says

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaTashy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:51 PM

ehhh wic is a bunch of idiots honestly

Hrivera5
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Oh wow...they are giving out some horrible and dangerous information.  I hope your doctor is more educated in car seat safety...but that is not always the case either honestly...

paranoiacomplex
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:53 PM

what a bunch of dumb dumbs...Do what you think is best Momma

MamaPeanut
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:54 PM

The people at WIC are NOT car seat techs!!!  In fact, neither are most doctors or police officers or emt's!

She is 100% incorrect and if you want to ERF, it is absolutely safe to do so (as long as your child is within the limits of her seat).

poptart0325
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I've learned not to listen to the WIC people.  They have told me a bunch of stupid things before that didn't make sense.  I remember one time they told me something, but I wish I could remember what it was... but I remember going to my daughter's pediatrician to ask him what he thought about it.  He instantly told me not to listen to them because they're not doctors!

MamaPeanut
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I wanted to add, I would honestly find out the contact information for the director of the program there, and e-mail her the current AAP guidelines (which are to RF to 2 years and 30 lbs, also shows WHY). 

It is absolutely dangerous and ridiculous for them to give out that false information, and it needs to stop.  I would inform her if she does not properly educate her staff, you will be contacting further resources (i'm a jerk, so I honestly would).

I am NOT saying anyone HAS to RF past 1 and 20 (that is YOUR choice as a parent), but I AM saying to do so is NOT unsafe or dangerous, it is 100% safe.

shawnalmil
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Quoting poptart0325:

I've learned not to listen to the WIC people.  They have told me a bunch of stupid things before that didn't make sense.  I remember one time they told me something, but I wish I could remember what it was... but I remember going to my daughter's pediatrician to ask him what he thought about it.  He instantly told me not to listen to them because they're not doctors!

yah from what i understand  drs wouldnt want parents to go to wic if it wasnt for the nutrionaly help they give, im just shocked that about this they would be against it!

shawnalmil
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Quoting MamaPeanut:

I wanted to add, I would honestly find out the contact information for the director of the program there, and e-mail her the current AAP guidelines (which are to RF to 2 years and 30 lbs, also shows WHY). 

It is absolutely dangerous and ridiculous for them to give out that false information, and it needs to stop.  I would inform her if she does not properly educate her staff, you will be contacting further resources (i'm a jerk, so I honestly would).

I am NOT saying anyone HAS to RF past 1 and 20 (that is YOUR choice as a parent), but I AM saying to do so is NOT unsafe or dangerous, it is 100% safe.

i agree if ppl want to forward face at 1 and 20 fine, but they should be like praising parents to ERF.  im going to talk to my dr tomarrow and see what she can help do about it.  i love the ladies at wic, but  if it wasnt for the wic help i think i would stop going( i know wic is about food and nurtion but if they where and where about child care classes and such i would stop)

vboatner
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:01 PM

The ONLY people at WIC that  are certified are the nutritionist, and that is only on food value and waht not. They dont know what they are talking about. I went to a car seat safety class, and had my 2 y/o seat ERF and they said that it was good. I would get a convertable seat though if you want to keep her RF. I will keep my son ERF until he is at the extent of it RF. (Which in my car seat is 40 lbs and as long as his head doesnt come above the head rest more than 1 in.)

MamaPeanut
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Quoting shawnalmil:

Quoting MamaPeanut:

i agree if ppl want to forward face at 1 and 20 fine, but they should be like praising parents to ERF.  im going to talk to my dr tomarrow and see what she can help do about it.  i love the ladies at wic, but  if it wasnt for the wic help i think i would stop going( i know wic is about food and nurtion but if they where and where about child care classes and such i would stop)

Yes, and most educated pediatricians are now following AAP guidelines and giving our information on RF past 1 and 20.

I have no problem with a person saying you CAN ff after 1 and 20, but to falsely tell someone it's dangerous to RF past 1 and 20 is absolutely negligent. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)