Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fleas =(

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM
  • 28 Replies

So I have grown up around pets that had fleas...never once had an issue. But a couple weeks ago we found a home for our dog (gave him to a close friend) because he had a very bad flea problem and she could afford to treat him better than we could. Before this I had never even noticed fleas except for on the dog. Well, now that we don't have him anymore the fleas are everywhere! They are biting our boys and us...and everyone that comes in the house. We just used a flea bomb (actually 3) and as soon as I came in I had to kill a flea on me. So first thing this morning I used carpet powder that is supposed to kill fleas (we got this because we figured this would be over-kill with the bombs too) and it seems to have done nothing! We can't afford an exterminator. Ugh!! Is there any other advice anyone has for me? I guess I will just keep vaccuming and hoping that they go away. I wouldn't be so concerned if they weren't biting the kids. Maybe we will just have to go broke and get a professional. I just really don't want to have to go broke over bugs. LOL But I will I guess if it comes down to it. But if anyone knows of any other methods...especially cheap ones please let me know! My boyfriend is upset because he acts like only "dirty people" are supposed to get fleas. I told him fleas don't care who you are. Haha what a jerkface.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brittany.Dann
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:29 PM
Bump. They sound like they may be bed bugs...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butchermomma
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:31 PM

my grandmas house one time got infested with fleas. she used table salt. just sprinkled it on the carpets at night. vaccumed in the morning. she had to do though for about 20 days. they have a life cycle of 10 days. the salt dries them out. good luck to you.

braymom09
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Fleas suck and I totally know what you're going through.  And no, that doesn't sound like bed bugs. Fleas can jump so high and so fast, you probably arent even killing them with the vacuum.  I have heard about the salt thing...otherwise, try googling it?? Wen we had fleas super bad, we had to bag up all the pillows and the couch cushions...take apart the beds and powder and vacuum them, and uh! it is a pain!! and very very very time consuming!! and can get expensive.  And tell ur bf to back off, if he thinks u are dirty then he can clean the house and take care of the problem :) Bugs do not care who u are or how much money you make or how clean your house is!! I mean, look at lice...they like clean hair more than dirty hair!! Anywhoo, I hope this helps, and I feel for u!! good luck!!

Brianav
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:06 PM
Have you noticed them in the yard as well?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DeacnConsMom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Quoting braymom09:

Fleas suck and I totally know what you're going through.  And no, that doesn't sound like bed bugs. Fleas can jump so high and so fast, you probably arent even killing them with the vacuum.  I have heard about the salt thing...otherwise, try googling it?? Wen we had fleas super bad, we had to bag up all the pillows and the couch cushions...take apart the beds and powder and vacuum them, and uh! it is a pain!! and very very very time consuming!! and can get expensive.  And tell ur bf to back off, if he thinks u are dirty then he can clean the house and take care of the problem :) Bugs do not care who u are or how much money you make or how clean your house is!! I mean, look at lice...they like clean hair more than dirty hair!! Anywhoo, I hope this helps, and I feel for u!! good luck!!

Yeah i really need to dedicate at least an entire day to cleaning, and moving furniture, exc. But its hard to do with a 4 mth old and a 2 year old...and on top of that I start babysitting for people tomorrow. So no time. Ugh. This sucks. I heard that they can transmit diseases so now I'm paranoid and I feel so helpless. :(

DeacnConsMom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Quoting Brianav:

Have you noticed them in the yard as well?

Yeah we have an outside cat that I want to get rid of. She doesn't come inside but I know she is the one that started it. I told him we need to rid the yard of them too. You know his reply? "If its an issue with them being in our yard then our neighbors and everyone else would have them too." Ugh such ignorance. lol

WesAndNicksMom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:29 PM

not sure but here's a bump!

av0531
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:33 PM

We are having the same problem. We have spent close to $400 on flea stuff (do it yourself and exterminator) just in this past month we are finally getting a handle on it. My dogs are staying at my MIL until we have it under control. I was told we have them so bad because of the dirt we have under my house(I am above ground maybe by 2ft.) and we have top soil under it the type of fleas we have are called sand fleas which are the hardest to get rid of. My neighbor used table salt in his yard and its been keeping them under control. What ya'll need to do is firt get them under control outside. The one thing that I have heard the works wonder is milethyan sp? its pronounced just like i spelled it. Also i went to walmart and got carpet flea powder (when we had them in the house...They were jumping on us and coming in on us!) I am also using an upolstery spray from walmart you can find it in the cat section in walmart spray it in your living room carpets ei. but when you spray it you have to get out of the room for some time because it is strong but it works. I spray when i go to bed most of the time. GL.

kathymama4
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I have battled fleas horribly for years. I love my animals VERY much, and so I work hard to be able to keep them, but sometimes the fleas can be overwhelming. Its enough to make a person swear off of animals. But I have never had to use carpet powders or flea bombs. Instead, I have always used my carpet cleaner on really hot, and gone over the carpets maybe two or three times in a week. Lots of vaccuuming, and lots of brushing and grooming the animals. Since I started this years ago, I have almost never even found a single flea. Honestly. And I don't even use the name brand flea drops, lol. Just Walmart stuff.  I KNOW it works. Just be sure to use HOT HOT water in it!

momma0ffive
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:39 PM

you can go to walmart or something and buy a product called malathion or seven its a concentrate you mix with water and spray on the outside of your house.  It works great but its a harsh poison youll have to leave your house for a day or two.  we didnt follow the directions becasue we were desperate and used the whole bottle to like a gallon of water...... but let me tell you it definetly did the job.  other than that for a more natural method i heard fresh eucalyptus works good..... good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)