Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I tell my mil stuff and she always looks at me like I am an idiot.....

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM
  • 16 Replies

Ok so my mil has always told me that I can talk to her about anything. When I do tell her something she has this indescribable face that she gets when someones ideas or information doesnt suit her knowledge. She is always right and if you try to tell her something new she just thinks your an idiot. She tries to give her two cents and make you feel like you are wrong. Me and my hubby are ttc and today the doc told me to try progesterone cream. Well when I told her that she looked at me with that stupid look. I cant stand it! She pretty much makes herself into a doctor and tells me what to do. Sorry just had to vent. Anyone know someone like this. Do you just ignore them?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleymosq
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I don't have anyone like that, but if I did I would just stop telling them stuff. If you are ttc then you don't need any kind of extra stress that would come from her treating you like you don't know what you are talking about.

EMMYBEARSMOMMY
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Pretty much! They are not always going to like what you say or do. You just have to learn to blow her off.

sweettigeress
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Maybe she's just a clueless airhead. *shrugs*

Mommybear09
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Just let it go in one ear and out the other my MIL can be like that sometimes and sometimes she can have some good advice too. My MIL drives me insane about 90% of the time but I have learned to just nod my head and smile.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Don't tell her stuff, and if she gives advice, say, "Thank you, but I've got it covered." Nothing further.

kngarber
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Oh I know too many people like this....it is obnoxious.  I just brush them off for the most part, but recently my daughter was in the hospital and I got the "look" you are talking about from a couple of different people and it made me want to punch them.  It is funny you said that she gave you a look about what your doctor said, because when I would tell people things the doctor said they looked at me all stupid.  Pretty sure they went to medical school and have more knowledge than they do.  Just sayin. 

momamouse07
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:47 PM

my sister is like this. i usually just let it go over my head. SOme of the things she comes up with is ridiculous. Plus she'll swear by something one week then deny it the next. i would just ignore her and just know thats the reaction you'll get from her when you tell her something.

steffielou_who
by Stefanie on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:03 PM

My MIL is so like that! I love her to death and she is a teacher so she is really really smart.. Book smart anyway.. So, when I mention smething, she looks at me like she is a fucking idiot! lmao.. If you saw her, you would be like, "WTF is wrong woth that bitch?".. hahahaha.. But yeah.. She was born in the 1800's and anyone who thinks differently than her is obviously stupid in her eyes..

saduncan
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:06 PM

You have to be selective about what topics you cover in conversation.  If it's something she'll give you a look for, avoid it.  That's what I had to do in the past.

CStanfield85
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:45 PM

My MIL and I don't talk. At all. She thinks she is right on everything and anything I do with myself, for my husband (her son), or our kids is WRONG. We've gotten into MANY arguments so we just don't talk at all. She never calls to ask how the kids are either so oh well. My husband doesn't even talk to her unless absolutely necessary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)