Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

oooh! i need your opinions!!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:07 PM
  • 7 Replies

i started working where i do in 2005.  i took a break in 2006 and went back in 2008.  within 6 months i had two promotions.  at the begining of june i stepped down from my management position because of some family issues but i made it clear at work that when things are over i wanted to be considered for promotions again.

well today my boss called and said that the store in the town i used to live in is VERY interested in me doing my old job but at their store!  AND it would be full-time instead of part-time (which is what i was before) so i would have benefits which i've never had!  he also told me that if i decide not to take it that there are tons of management openings in columbus that i could take advantage of later.

my SO's mom brought up how much i hate driving and that it will be winter soon BUT i used to live there so unlike if i was working in another city, i know my way around there because i grew up there, plus if i break down or need help i have tons of family and friends close to there.  it would add about 30 minutes one way to my driving but that's not much because it only takes me about 10 minutes to get to work right now.

another plus would be that they didn't lower my rate of pay when i stepped down and i would ask for a raise if i took the job.  yay money!  lol

there are a few cons though!  for one, the boys aren't back in school yet.  a family friend asked me at the begining of summer if i would watch her daughter until she heard back from the YMCA and more than a month later i'm still watching her.  i would feel terible telling her that she'll have to figure things out but my SO's mom (who is the woman's best friend) said that i need to take care of my family first.  i'm also REALLY enjoying my time off from work!  i'm only working 3.5 hours/week right now and i don't know if i'm ready to go back up to 40/week! but i know once the boys are back in school that i would be bored out of my mind here during the day.

so what do you think???  i know you guys can't make decisions for me but i would love some input!!!!!

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Charli627
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:13 PM
I would take the job. I wish my old job would let me come back and it is a 45 mins drive from where I live now. I was a manager there too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesAndNicksMom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Quoting Charli627:

I would take the job. I wish my old job would let me come back and it is a 45 mins drive from where I live now. I was a manager there too.

i was really lucky that they let me stay when i wanted to step down!  i found out that a few other stores had the same situation with managers and the distric manager wouldn't let them do it (they tried that with me but i put my foot down lol).  i think the only reason they kept me is because my boss explained that i'm the best at all of the operations stuff in our store (fastest at floorsets and shipment etc.) and that it was just a temporary thing :)  i guess he told the store that wants me how amazing i am and it felt good to know that they think i'm good at my job!!!

thetammy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:59 PM

i think i would take it, with the economy these days!

Alexsmom04
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I think you should take it. I understand you want to be there for your friend but you have to do whats best for your family first. Give her enough time to find someone else.

RachelAnne
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I think you should take it! You're very fortunate to have that opportunity in this crappy economy! Take advantage of it, Mama! I'm sure your friend will understand! Good luck with your decision!

JessO919
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I would take the job.  It sounds like a great opportunity and a 30 minute drive really is not that bad.  That is about what I do and it is not bad at all.  You could definitely get used to it.

JMKristy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I would take it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)