Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am raising a little monster....

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:03 PM
  • 11 Replies

my son is 15 months old and wow ... He hits, bites, piniches and if he doesn't get his way over ANYTHING throws himslef on the floor and screams and crys. I can barley get ready in the morning he grabs my leg and pulls me until I'm facing him and whines and puts his hands up for me to hold him... if I don't he will scream and throw himself on the floor and he will not stop for a long time!! What is going on. I love him more than anythign thing but I can't even eat without him wanting to have me pick him up and if not he will hit me and throw a HUGE fit!! He ONLY wants me not his dad at all...help

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetammy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:54 PM

i have no clue how to help, i am going through similar things with my 2 year old. but heres a bump!

saracee
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:01 PM

my sons 2 yrs old and he does the EXACT same thing. if he doesnt get his way he screams and throws himself on the floor. what i do is i put him in his room and i tell him "isaiah, u can come out when ur a big boy" i left him cry it out and with in a couple mins hes all better, i don't know if this helps but i found it helps with isaiah.

LancesMom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:56 PM

hugs

JMKristy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I'm not trying to come across as rude... but maybe it's time to re-evaluate the way you handle these situations and the choices you are making with him. Maybe if you change the way you handle specific things, his behavior will also change. I know we have had to do that with both of our children. I wish I could offer more help... I hope it gets better.

ChesterGirl
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:16 PM

My son starting acting like this when he hit 15 months . He is now 4 and we still have major issues with his behaviour . I was takeing him to a physiatrist that specializes in children with behaviour issues , who recently told me that he ''wasnt sure where to go from here'' meaning he dosent know what the hell to do with him and this is a man who makes his liveing seeing children like this . I personally think that my son has ODD , but the doctor said that he did't want to lable him to soon bc it could be bad for him in the future (my son that is) . My son literally ignore everything I say , dose not respond to ANY kind of dicipline , he tears my house up (there are holes in his walls , the screen in his window is torn to shreds , he has scrapped the crap off his ceiling in place's in his room , torn up an 800 dollar bed we bought for him , ex ex ex) he is mean and disrespectful , he spits on everything , he pee's where ever he feels like it , he cant keep his hands to himself , purposely interrupts conversations and makes loud noise's to wake up his baby brother . He's actions are HORRIBLE . The funny thing is . Cognitively , he's a full 2 years ahead of his age group . I love my son , more than my own life , but honestly , he makes our life VERY hard . Everything we do revolves around rather or not Thomas can behave himself long enough to get it done . Literally EVERYTHING in our life we do the way we do bc of our son . Its sad and its stressful and while we are happy ppl in general , he makes the day to day a challenge . I dont know what to tell you to do with your LO , I cant tell you how to handle things that I havent figered out in 3 years , but I can tell you that you are not alone . It may get worse  , I hope that it dosent , but if you think something is abnormal now , talk to his ped. about it . I wish that I had started something with my son when he was younger , bc now , no one seems to be able to help me at all .

ktinaza
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Yeah I wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong I would change it in a second. I have no idea. I mean I spoil him if he crys for me I pick him up. If he throws a fit I say, "That's ok" and let him throw one and ignore him. His pedi told me when he hits he wants a reaction bad or good so to ignore him and he will stop. I have been doing that not sure that it's working but he wil hit me and I just walk away. My son gets so much love and attention. He just seems to get angry very easy. I know it's a frustrating age cause they know what they want but can't say everything yet so they get frustrated. What am I doing wrong?? Do I need to be more strict??

MrsTexas
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:45 AM

It is called the "terrible twos." Your son and mine got them a little early. They might even be harder than if they were 2 because they cannot talk and express themselves. It is phase. You are not a terrible momma. Can you imagine having a strong opinion and not being able to express yourself? Always remember on those difficult days, "This too shall pass..."   :) 

aprilsalcro
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Quoting JMKristy:

I'm not trying to come across as rude... but maybe it's time to re-evaluate the way you handle these situations and the choices you are making with him. Maybe if you change the way you handle specific things, his behavior will also change. I know we have had to do that with both of our children. I wish I could offer more help... I hope it gets better.

i  argree with you , i know for me spanking my kids helped when they were like that.  (and im not saying to spank your kiddos)

Osstie
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Just don't pick him up every time he asks. He'll get the point.

Nysa
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:51 AM

My mother in law runs a daycare center, and she tells the parents of kids who act like that to work really hard at developing their language.  Even sign language.  Just some way they can communicate.  Spend an hour or two a day just taking with him.  The sooner he can express himself in another way, the sooner the tantrums stop.  It almost always works (or at least helps).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)