Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would you ever have a child to save a sick child

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:09 PM
  • 59 Replies

Poll

Question: would u ever have a child to save your currently living sick child

Options:

yes, with gentic altering

no

other

i already have

yes without gentic altering

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 99

View Results

there is a show on discovery heallth called a baby to save our son, there son has some kinda disorder and the parents are going to have a child genticly choosen and implanted to  wehn it born have the cord blood transfered and cure there current 3 year old?

i know there is a book called my sisters keeper which is based on this subject also

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenie255
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:14 PM

I can't really say yes or no. I think I'd have to be in that position to make a true decision.  God willing I will never have to face that.  I do know there would be a ton of prayer involved.

shawnalmil
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Quoting thenie255:

I can't really say yes or no. I think I'd have to be in that position to make a true decision.  God willing I will never have to face that.  I do know there would be a ton of prayer involved.

i would have another child in hopes its cord blood could help, but i would never have a genticly  altered child to do it

MegaMutant
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:16 PM

If it were this same situation, yes. It won't harm the new baby (that I'm aware of, I could be wrong) and could save the currently living one. Were it different, I can't say. Depends on the circumstances.

dababiesdreams
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:17 PM
that's tough....i don't know i could honestly answer that without being put in that situation. Maybe if it was a one time thing?? So the 2nd child could have a normal life but i definately couldn't do like they did in "my sister's keeper"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I would for the use of cord blood (naturally conceived) but I would never put my child though the pain of repeat surgeries, bone marrow giving, ivs, blood draws ect.. Like in My sisters keepers.. Its one thing to have a child you will love and respect and have a "lab rat" to use...

Erica

a wedding website

mega.momma
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:21 PM

I am watching that show right now. The boy has TBD, which is a disease that effects his bone marrow. His body doesn't produce red blood cells. I would absolutely have another child (genetically altered or not depending on the need) to save the daughter I have now. It's not as though they are going to use this new child for parts and then throw them in a closet somewhere. The new child would be loved and cared for as any other child would. In fact I think I would hold the new child in very high esteem as I would any person who saved my current daughter. My family would be expanded, we would have another wonderful child to love and the child we currently have would be saved. Where is the down side? I would NOT, under any circumstances, allow my child to die simply because others might think having another child to save her would be morally wrong.  

calilove33
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Ok there was a lot more than just having another baby and giving it the cord blood. If it was just that yes in a heart beat. but I dont know that i could make my other child constantly suffer through thing to save the other like giving more than just blood or cord blood maybe even bone marrow but i couldnt do it for years and years over and over.

KBix
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

I would for the use of cord blood (naturally conceived) but I would never put my child though the pain of repeat surgeries, bone marrow giving, ivs, blood draws ect.. Like in My sisters keepers.. Its one thing to have a child you will love and respect and have a "lab rat" to use...

Erica

Kristina~mommy to Bailian and wife to Brad~ 
shawnalmil
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Quoting calilove33:

Ok there was a lot more than just having another baby and giving it the cord blood. If it was just that yes in a heart beat. but I dont know that i could make my other child constantly suffer through thing to save the other like giving more than just blood or cord blood maybe even bone marrow but i couldnt do it for years and years over and over.

i agree, now that i think of it, i wouldnt want 2 kids suffering because one is sick, 

in this case it said it only needed cord blood,

CjEmmemommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Loved or not what kind of life would your child have if it was forced to give bone marrow over and over.... If it didn't work the first time would you stop?

Imagine how scary all the giving would be for a small child.. What about the guilt they may feel if the older sibling still dies and they feel like they failed..

erica

Quoting mega.momma:

I am watching that show right now. The boy has TBD, which is a disease that effects his bone marrow. His body doesn't produce red blood cells. I would absolutely have another child (genetically altered or not depending on the need) to save the daughter I have now. It's not as though they are going to use this new child for parts and then throw them in a closet somewhere. The new child would be loved and cared for as any other child would. In fact I think I would hold the new child in very high esteem as I would any person who saved my current daughter. My family would be expanded, we would have another wonderful child to love and the child we currently have would be saved. Where is the down side? I would NOT, under any circumstances, allow my child to die simply because others might think having another child to save her would be morally wrong.  

a wedding website

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)