Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any ideas on stopping thumb sucking?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:03 AM
  • 10 Replies

My 8yr old niece is now staying with me and her thumb stucking truly annoys me. I don't know how to break her up from doing it. Putting condiments on it doesnt work because she loves the taste especially hot sauce. So I don't know what else to try. I'm constantly telling her to get it out of her mouth and as soon as I'm out sight it's right back in. Her mom and grandparents have let it go on for so long without addressing it til I don't think anything I do or try will make her stop.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IrishDuckie
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Wow... she's 8 and no one stopped her before?!

foxielady
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:10 AM

Quoting IrishDuckie:

Wow... she's 8 and no one stopped her before?!

Nope! and that really annoys me. I've been trying to address it with her even before she came to live with me but since none of them have really done anything about it my attempts have been fruitless.

mommyofblueyes
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:15 AM

Honestly..there is nothing you will be able to do to stop her, unless you cut off her thumbs.  I sucked my thumb until I was 12, and my Mom tried EVERYTHING.  The only thing that stopped me was getting sick, very sick and dehydrated for 2 weeks, I could not even suck my thumb...that is why I stopped.  I would not wish that on anyone though.  Good luck!  :)

How`s my pregnancy doing? soldierkiss.gif military couple image by CommentCrazyGirl

IrishDuckie
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Ya at 8 I don't think there is anything you can do. Geeze though... who wouldn't try stopping their kid before?!

mommyofblueyes
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:24 AM

People try to stop their kids before, but they are unsuccessful, because it is almost impossible.  It is not like a binky or bottle where you can just take it away and hide it or throw it away....ya know?

Quoting IrishDuckie:

Ya at 8 I don't think there is anything you can do. Geeze though... who wouldn't try stopping their kid before?!

How`s my pregnancy doing? soldierkiss.gif military couple image by CommentCrazyGirl

IrishDuckie
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:34 AM

Ahh yes but we used coercion with my cousins. Bug poop under your nails and you're sucking on it. They stopped really quick. Worked for sucking on fingers or chewing nails.

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

People try to stop their kids before, but they are unsuccessful, because it is almost impossible.  It is not like a binky or bottle where you can just take it away and hide it or throw it away....ya know?

Quoting IrishDuckie:

FormerlyFriday
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:40 AM

My ds is almost 3. He only sucks his thumb when he's sleepy, I'm not really worried about it although I wish he didn't do it.

Brianne036
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:41 AM
Try the nail polish meant to stob nail biting. It's truly awful and takes awhile to get the taste out of your mouth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
foxielady
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Quoting Brianne036:

Try the nail polish meant to stob nail biting. It's truly awful and takes awhile to get the taste out of your mouth

Where can I find that polish?

av0531
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:16 PM
My mom sucked her thumb until she was that age her grandparents put duct tape on her (both thumbs though) because she couldn't get it off. But my mom only sucked hers at night or when she was scared.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)