Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Living with your parents.....

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:03 PM
  • 25 Replies

How many of you have had to move back in with your parents? We are going to be renting our house out and moving in with my dad within the next few months. I don't have a job in 2wks and we are working on getting out of debt after DH had cancer 4yrs ago. I am really nervous about it, but he has this huge 4 bedroom Victorian home to himself so there is plenty of room. It will save us about $1300 month that can go towards paying off debt.

So who has had to move back in with their parents and how does it work out? Do you find yourself fighting a lot? Was it a mistake? We have 2 girls and DH works overnights and works 13 hrs a night a lot, so it will be nice to have some extra help with the kids once in awhile. Im so nervous though...... It is only for a year.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs-Atkinson
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I just had to move back in with my dad. Fortunately we've had experience with this bc I lived with him on and off a lot for 2 yrs while I was a single mom. No, their are no real issues. Sometimes he tries to interfere with my son's disciple, but I just remind him how I want things to be.

Ayla-bellesmom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I never have. I can guarantee you that my mother and I would kill each other.

For the last two  years, she's been renting the apartment beneath the house *I* rent. We both rent separately from the landlord and I was here a year before she came. Two totally different units, each with their own entrances. Mine is the main floor of the house, hers is the basement. They are not combined in ANY way, except that they are one in the same structure.

We have probably gotten into 4 or 5 pretty seriously fights in two years. Where she doesn't even speak to me. We're not speaking right now, either.

But, my mother and I have always had a volatile relationship. So I think it depends on your and your dad.

calilove33
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I moved in with my mother in law. It was only suppose to be for a little bit but a little bit turned into a year. OMG worst idea ever!!!!!!!!! but there was 9 people in one house sooooooooo it was a little crowded at times and our parenting ideas didnt match up. lol sooo it may work out perfect for you. You should talk about boundaries and whats going to happen and be expected before you all move in. Little things like dishes can really bug the heck out of you after a while.

Charli627
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:09 PM
We had to move in with my MIL. She hates me cause I'm not a baptist Jehovah witness. And she's constantly saying something smart to me. Then my DH gets into with her cause he won't let me disrespect. But for the most part, I just ignore her now. But maybe things will work out better in your situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charli627
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM
That's suppose to be my DH won't let her disrespect me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angi07
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:13 PM
My fil is actually moving back in and its because we just can't seem to get ahead I'm not happy about it at all I would rather junk the cabel and get wic we have a decent 2 bedroom his father is taking our bedroom and were moving our bed to the living room. It will give us a break on the bills and help us get a head. Our car was totalled in March even with full coverage and gap we still owed money to the bank along with a down payment for our new vehicle really knocked us out. He shared this apartment with us before but once our youngest was born he moved out a couple weeks after he was born and my little one just turned 2 so we lived alone for 2 years and I'm totally sad I'm really having a hard time making peace with it. Hope things get better for you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbirchard
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:13 PM

My parents actually had to move in with us about 3 years ago. Living in a shared house hold is very difficult, but atleast I have help with my boys.

mommaoftwo
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I think it is usually harder when it is your inlaws , your parents and your ideas are usually morse similar

luvmybaby
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:18 PM

I told him we have to set boundaries before we move in......especially when it comes to my kids. He is very anal about the house being clean, so I know we won't have an issue with cleanliness. It will be good since my DD is OCD about a clean house. The longest I will stay with him is 1yr. By next summer we will be moving. Dh is looking to get a cop job, so more than likely we will be moving anyhow within a year. A year just gives us a chance to get a huge portion of our debt paid off so we don't have to live pay check to paycheck.....it will give us a chance to get out of debt instead of not seeing an end at all. Totally sucks....never thought we would have to be in this situation, but I guess we are lucky that we have the option.

Quoting calilove33:

I moved in with my mother in law. It was only suppose to be for a little bit but a little bit turned into a year. OMG worst idea ever!!!!!!!!! but there was 9 people in one house sooooooooo it was a little crowded at times and our parenting ideas didnt match up. lol sooo it may work out perfect for you. You should talk about boundaries and whats going to happen and be expected before you all move in. Little things like dishes can really bug the heck out of you after a while.

Christinas1st
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:19 PM

i had to move back in.  no real issues with us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)