Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

VBAC vs. Ceserean

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:14 PM
  • 58 Replies

Ok so I had my 16 month old daughter by c section due to the fact that she was breech. Now that I am pregnant again with my son I was originally hoping to have a VBAC but now I am not so sure. My doctors tell me that the risk is higher for a complication and my hubby doesn't want me to have it naturally. Has anyone had a similar situation?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maddieraesmomma
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:17 PM
I'm in the same boat so I want to read the replies you get! We aren't pregnant right now but we have been talking about it and my first was a c-section due to being breech! So I'm hoping u get some good responses!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barronbaby
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:21 PM
I wanted to have a vbac with my son. But the dr told me the risk was higher since my pelvis wouldn't open up for my dd and they didn't seen to shift for ds pregnancy. Sorry I can't be more help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missmegan09
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:24 PM

what i have heard is that when you have a c section that it partly depends on how you were cut with the c section if it was acroos or up and down to whether or not you can have a VBAC

Tanya12
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:37 PM

We had cord problems with my first. That and he was almost 9pounds, 1 week after his due date..and thats big for me. I labored to 6 with him before they had to take him by emergency. Waiting to hear his first cry was so hard. But hes fine.
That being said..I cried and suffered some depression because I had to have a section. It wasnt anyones fault..but I felt like my natural birth had been taken from me. I always knew I wanted a VBAC. There was no reason for me not to at least try.
My second was a VBAC just 3months ago. The recovery..1000x better. I was amazed! I had a couple tears but my word...I cant even tell you how fantastic I felt afterwards. Even today with a 3month old. The recovery is night and day. Im so happy I did it. My doctor was 100% supportive and my husband said "your uterus, you decide". And he was behind me whatever my choice.
I personally would never volunteer for major abdominal surgery. And even though natural birth was so painful..I would take the pain of 3 pushes than months of soreness, tingling, and stomach numbness. Plus my scar..oye my scar. Its as pretty as scars are..not very big, and its straight. But Im so fair skinned its been 3 years since my first and my scar is still bright pink.
Like I said..I would personally never volunteer for a c-section(though Im with you on breech..if I had a breech I would. I would personally never chance a breech) But they had to pretty much take me kicking and screaming for my section. The whole thing was a nightmare and I was in such denial about it for a long time. But I did what I had to do in the moment, for him. To make sure he was healthy, and it was what he needed at the time.
For you..if you dont have another breech(some would still naturaly birth a breech, it can be done)..But if you had a normal vertex head down baby..There is NO reason for you to have an elective section. The complications with c-section FARRRR out weigh remote complications that could come with a VBAC. My VBAC was even an induction..fine. As long as its done safely. I would definitely think about it if I were you. Your uterus, YOU decide. Not the doctor, husband, friend...who ever. You do your research and find out. Once a section- does not always have to be a section.

jennymartin
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:37 PM
yeah kinda..my hubby just doesnt want to see me in pain. i have a 19m daughter whos i had a csection with bc i dialated to 7cm n was swelling closed my dr later told me in norm terms...that i have a small birthcanal and thats what killed moms n babys back in the day. so ill prob have all my kids that way..but hes willing to let me try...n tho i was in labor 31hrs....tho it seems long i was glad to get to give it a good try!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:38 PM

The hospital I had mine at doesn't do VBACs, period, and the other says you have to have at least 2yrs between births to have a VBAC. In either case, my two are only 11mos apart, so VBAC wasn't an option for me. Talk to your doc and find out what the risks are, and discuss it all with your husband.

MamaPeanut
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I'd do lots of research and make the choice that is best for you.

My dd was a planned c-section, and this baby will be Dec. 3rd as well.  I have no interest in experiencing a vaginal birth, so it's better for us to just plan and prepare for another c-section.

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:46 PM
I have no desire to have a vbac. I didn't dilate past a three in 16 hours so I look forward to not going through that again. I am okay with never delivering vaginally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Repeat c-sections have a higher risk of complications than a VBACs.

shadesoflove
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:50 PM

I've done research and plan on doing alot more. My first was c-section because I wouldn't progress. Come to find out the cord was wrapped around his neck and not letting him get down to push on the cervix. I REALLY wanted a vaginal birth so I want to do VBAC next time. From the research I have done, of course I am no doctor, I am finding out that it really isn't any bigger a risk then a c-section the second time around. Again, I think like a PP said it depends on time between the births too. The only problem I will have is I can't have the same Dr. they will not do VBAC at all and I LOVED my Doctors. :( So I would have to go looking for a new doctor and more than likely a new hospital. From the research I have done many people(professionals) are saying it isn't anymore risky so I'm not understanding why so many doctors and hospitals are opposed to doing it. All I can tell you is try doing some more research on your own. And personal stories here from CM should help too. Good Luck Momma! I know I REALLY do not want to be cut open again. UGH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)