Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinons on my friend's son's devolopment....

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM
  • 6 Replies

So yesterday a had my sons birthday party and there where about 12 kids there. Most where from his pre-school. Two of the kids were my friends sons. One is 3  1/2 the other is 1  1/2. All the kids were having a blast. Even the youngest the 1 1/2 yr old. But his brother the 3 1/2 year old was crying uncontrollably the whole time. He was covering his ears. I should mention also that it was at one of those bouncy places...Maybe he was overstimulated?...He doesnt really socialize with other children all that much. He stays at home with his mom ( my friend) She has severe Post Partum Depression from the birth of he last son. She also has a heavy duty pot smoking problem...Which she smoked while pregnant with him. They are very poor and can barely afford food and rent let alone a pre-school to get him socialized. I do feel that the kids are neglected at times and it's sad. The father(which she lives with) basically just hangs around because he has no where else to go. Isn't a help. He once told my husband "jokingly'' that diapers are expensive so if the kid shits right before he gets feed he leaves the diaper on because he's only gonna shit again so why waste another one!!?? Everytime we go over there, there's a new hole in the wall from when he ''lost his temper''. I can't even imagine what these poor kids are witnessing...breaks my heart. I know she loves her kids more than anything. It's basically the only reason I haven't called soical services. I tryed to talk to her about everything last yr...she didn't like to hear the truth too much..so for a while I just kept my distance but now she's around again and now that the kids are older I can really see how they are suffering from it..So sad. I really feel like the older one needs special help, his speech is really poor for his age. I asked him what he wanted to drink yesterday and he just said, ''spiderman'' with a blank stare. He cryed for 2 hrs strait yesterday and was unconsolable. I think she knows somthing's not right ... Do you think he could be autistic? Or just a product of house he is raised in?

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Stevensmomma
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:11 PM

wow very sad !! I think she needs to make her DH or baby's daddy get a job and anger management classes!! She needs to bring them to the park so they can be around other kids if she cant afford school, and get them checked it just doesn't sound good..

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:18 PM

If she was my friend I would try to get her to see that he needs to get checked out..That is so sad. IDK if it's autisim or just being in the house or a combo of both..either way I feel bad for the kids. They need a voice and it may have to be you. Good luck.

MamaPeanut
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:18 PM

That's really sad, the kids' situation. 

He might have been just having a bad day, it's hard to tell.  But he also may have developmental and emotional issues, and the jury is still out on the effects of marijuana use during pregnancy. 

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is much you can do. 

MamaPeanut
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Also, if they are low income, he would qualify for Head Start, which would at least get him socializing (and it's free).  Once he's there, the teachers could suggest further evaluation if they see a need.

mamacifuni
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I say that he could have some delays, without knowing the case personally, I can't say that it's autism.  It does sound a little like some developmental delays.  I would recommend she speak with her pediatrician about the concerns (as her friend, you may want to go with her for moral support and give an objective opinion of what you've noticed).

johnnybgood
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:26 PM
Wow well I know that personally my son hasn't been socialized a whole lot bc I had bad postpartum depression that went into depression. But when he IS around kids which is about once a week, he is fine, just has to warm up for a minute first and then he plays fine! He is two ad has no delays at all... Btw I'm not a neglectful mother like your friend sounds to be, I do beleive maybe the kids has some issues but I really think your friend should take herself out of that horrible situation!!! Not even able to buy diapers!!!!! I'd call cps I'm sorry!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)