Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Former smokers...how to deal with BIG stress?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:37 AM
  • 4 Replies

I would like to ask any former smokers how they dealt with the BIG stressors that came their way.  I have been smoke-free for over 3 months and doing really really good but have slipped up twice.  The first time was when I realized I gained about 10 pounds because food had taken cigarette's place.  The second was today because of the problems my college is having getting everything done so I can begin classes in about a week, one kid starts kindergarten and one starts preschool but the kindergarten one has to be picked up at a bus stop and the preschooler is picked up at home at the SAME TIME so I have to figure out how to be two places at once, I'm starting classes after 10 years and last time, I never finished so now I'm super-stressed because I am afraid something will come up and I will quit again and have another bill I can't pay....AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!  I want another cigarette just thinking about this.  I breastfeed so I really don't want to but I think that I am at work so I can just dump the milk if I want to.  I keep saying NO NO NO but my mind is thinking up reasons why I can and should.  The last three months have been sheer will power, no patches or gums.  I tried those before and I never made it past the first 2-3 days.  I just need something else to do to relieve the stress besides food and cigarettes. Any suggestions???

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
cpflum08
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Ugh I hear ya and the urge seems to really never go away! but I would just chew on some gum, real gum. or if you can go for a little speed walk that always helped me too. call a friend who you can vent to. hope this helps:)

EMMYBEARSMOMMY
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I chew gum a lot! I also try to go for a walk or do something to get my mind busy so I won't think about it. I quit almost a year ago and I still have cravings...I don't think they ever go away. You just have to find a way to deal with them.GOOD LUCK!!

othermom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Thankfully it hasn't been an issue. I have had stress since I quit, but haven't smoked at all. I don't keep ciggrettes any where near so I don't have a chance to slip up. There are times when I want to smoke, but it usually passes pretty quick. It has been almost 3 years for me.

Maybe take a walk, have a piece of gum or hard candy. Do something to keep your hands busy.

littlemissmj
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:12 AM

There's lots of food you can eat that won't make you fat! Eat vegetables! Celery! Chew gum! You could try putting some headphones on and just rocking out for a bit. That helps. Get up and DO things helps take the edge off. I'm currently on the patches so I know your pain. But I really havent found anything to replace cigarettes yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)