Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tubes tied question

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:09 PM
  • 17 Replies

So after several long disccussions with DH a couple weeks back, I've decided to get my tubes tied at the birth. For those of you who have gotten this done, how was healing for you? I'd love to hear about your experience. Are your periods normal afterwards?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
I'm a proud breastfeeding, baby wearing, anti-CIO, vaccinating, cloth diapering, cloth pad wearing, pro-life, vegetarian, crunchy momma!
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chendren1
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:12 PM
Id like to know also here bum
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
g1ennfa1th
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I would like to know as well.  I am really very scared to get this done.  BUMP!

g1ennfa1th
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:17 PM

BUMP!

kzevallos516
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I had mine done six months post-partum, my Dr. does not do them immediately following birth because he says that because your body is already in healing mode, the surgery can often be considered in the process making it less effective. That said, I had it done and recovery was easy. If you do it after delivery it shouldn't effect you anymore than labor itself, the way I did it was not bad either. I had a few stitches, no scarring, and was up and moving within days of post-op. I had it done on Friday and was doing dishes at by Sunday. The pain from my tooth extraction was actually worse, it is not really anything to be concerned about, really, the only thing that is an after effect is the reality that you will have no more children biologically and even reversals are not always effective. that's not the case for me though, I have four munchkins so I'm good, lol.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I had mine done at birth during C-section delivery with my 2nd. If I could go back, I'd do Essure or something instead, but that's just because I'm one of the unlucky women who suffers from Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome. Still, recovery blended with the C-section recovery, so by the time I was healed from that, I was healed from the tubal as well.

Jessika0720
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:28 PM

BUMP!

jojolicious220
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I'm getting the Essure on September 2nd. I chose not to get the surgery one because I have 3 little ones to take care of and I dont have anyone to help me with them. 

CStanfield85
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:19 PM

I got mine done 5 months after I had my second. The worst part was being groggy from the anesthesia, but the pain wasn't that bad. I bled a little about a day after, but it was only enough for a panty liner. Not too bad. I felt back to normal about a week afterward.

Owner of Fans of Kristen Stewart!! Want to join?

http://www.cafemom.com/group/KristenStewartFans

AHamrick
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:23 PM

I had mine done when I had my son (c-section) on July 1st. My healing time was no different from when I had my c-section with dd. I was up and doing just about whatever I wanted/ needed to do after the first week to week and a half. I was still a little sore, but if you take things slow you'll be fine. Like I would unload the dishwasher, then take a break, then load it, sit down for about 15 mins or so then start dinner or throw in a load of laundry or whatever. You just have to take breaks inbetween chores. After I left the hospital I didn't take any pain meds durring the day. They make me sleepy so I would only take them @ night & I wasn't in terriable pain while I wasn't taking them. About bleeding, I have just stopped bleeding yesterday, so I haven't had a regular period yet. Hope I didn't ramble too much, and some of this is actually helpful. lol Good luck. I'll say a prayer for you!

April ~ Proud Mommy to August Skyla, and Landon Carter, & Loving wife to Curtis!

miller060905
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:30 PM

i had mine tied less than a hour after 2nd DD was born.  That was 3 1/2 yrs ago.  Mine was pretty painful after but only because they found some other problems when they went in that they had to take care of.  as for periods... they are always right on time but different every month.  some months i barely spot for 4 days other months i have incredibly heavy flow for 7 days, sometimes i have cramps, sometimes I don't.  sometimes I'm an emotional wreck, sometimes I'm not.  I believe I may have post tubal ligation syndrome but have worked up the nerve to ask my doctor about it    IF i could go back, I would not have had my tubes tied.  partly because now i want more children, but mostly because before my periods were always very normal and i wasn't near as hormonal. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)