Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

5 year old: Where do babies come from?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 1:07 AM
  • 16 Replies

Ok what do you say to your 4 or 5 year old when they ask you where babies come from?  Just wondering because my son asked me the other day and I kinda didnt know what to say lol So I just said that Because mommy and daddy loved each other God sent us a baby. So now my son keeps saying why doesnt God send you another baby? You and Daddy dont love each other? lol

by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 1:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DevinsMommy623
by Member on Aug. 10, 2010 at 3:14 AM
I tell my son (5 yrs old) that babies come from God. When he thinks its time for another baby he will give me another one. He is more interested about the baby inside and how its going to come out. (Thats the part I couldnt explain)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hippiemamaof2
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 3:19 AM

My 3 year old has been ok with the when "mommy and daddy's love for each other created the baby".

She also knows where babies come from because she was there when her sister was born.

CR1984
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 5:22 AM

I was actually the one who had to explain to my 4 yr old niece where babies came from.  At that time, I was pregnant with my daughter, and my niece was very interested.  She wanted to know how the baby got in my belly.  So I told her God put her there. She wanted to know how the baby was going to come out, and I simply told her that I wouldn't know which way God wanted the baby to come out until she was ready to come out.  She had a lot of questions about how the baby eats and breathes and moves, and I just answered those honestly.   I think the most basic, to-the-point answers are best for young children.  One of my friends told her son, "Boys have sperm and girls have eggs.  When they love eachother, they put it together and make a baby."  She said by the time she got to the last word of the sentence he was disinterested already.  Just guage your child's maturity, intellegence, and make the call on what you feel is best for him or her.  If you're doing what you think is best, then that's all that matters.  They'll eventually find out where babies come from at some point.

Okigurl
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 5:48 AM

Heres one: When a Mommy and a Daddy love each other and want a baby they make a wish and god put the baby in the mommy's tummy where it grows and waits for the time to be born.

Mama32309
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 7:49 AM
My stepson asked me when I was pregnant. he asked me how does the baby come out and I said well I don't know I never had a baby before maybe you should ask your mom. He said "what do they do? Just cut you open and take the baby out? That sounds like it would hurt!" I was speechless and I wanted to laugh so hard lol he was about 6 1/2
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sophie1106
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 7:53 AM
My dd is 3 and she asked when I was pregnant with ds. I just told her mommy and daddy made him and put him in my tummy to grow. She was ok with that lol. But then she asked how he was going to come out. So I told her I go to the doctor and the doctor helps take him out. She was ok with that too. Luckily she didn't ask for any more details!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cancer72283
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 7:57 AM

I kinda recently went through this with my 5 yr old being that I was pregnant. I was able to honestly tell my son that the dr was going to cut my belly open and that was how bubby was going to be born just the way he was born. He asked why we were having a baby so I just told him that mommy and daddy love each other so we decided to have another baby. He was happy with both of those answers.

motherslove82
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2010 at 8:02 AM

I told my kids at that age that Mommy and Daddy made the baby together and that Mommies get the blessing of growing the baby in their tummies. That only holds them off for a little while because then they want to know HOW Mommy and Daddy made the baby. We had a talk about how boys and girls' bodies are different. How boys have penises and girls have vagina. I told my daughter that Daddy made the seed and Mommy had an egg in her body. The seed from Daddy's body entered Mommy's body and when they joined they started a baby. Then the baby has to grow until it's ready to come out. Basically, I gave it to them (my daughters, my son hasn't asked yet) a little bit at a time. It's a beautiful story about how love creates life and how amazing their (my daughters') bodies are. That's how I explained it. My oldest is nine and she is just starting to get the full picture.

SweetPea2004
by Natalia on Aug. 10, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I told M that babies come from two people loving each other very much and wanting to share that love they have a baby.  The baby is made in the mommy stomach...she was okay with that and didn't press more.

CjEmmemommy
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Well I am pregnant and my 4 year old is asking a lot about baby... I told him the baby grows in mommy's belly.. He didn't ask how it got there and then I told him when its time mommy gives birth.. He has seen births on tv and gets the idea that they come out of mom but I don't think he can understand where or how..

Just tell him God only sends babies when you are ready and we aren't ready for more..

Erica

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN