Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pregnancy and potty training DON'T MIX! (vent)

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:07 AM
  • 7 Replies
i think potty training my 3 y/o is going to be the death of me! He knows when he goes, he uses the big potty A LOT but heaven help me....cleaning out poopy undies while tryng to not puke is harder then all get out!
I understand that since he has the speech delay that he can't walk up and say "hey mom, i gotta go to the bathroom"....ok no biggy. We taught him the sign for "toilet" and he uses it when we are out in public faithfully. We have not had a public accident in over a month! He goes on 5 hour car trips and tells us everytime he needs to go! But at home he has at least one accident daily! Usually poo. Its soooooo frustrating! He takes himself pee and lets me know when he is going....why can't he do the same for poo? I'm a SAHM so i thought with me being here it would go much easier but its not! If i'm not puking cause of the pregnancy i'm puking while cleaning his poopy undies! To make this somewhat funny, even to me, I CLOTH DIAPER! So even my 19 mo is giving me poopy things to clean but for what ever reason HIS don't bother me! My SO wants to put him back in diapers but honestly that's not going to do anything but set him back. He's suppose to start pre-k next year so getting the whole potty thing down is fairly important.
I think the most frustrating thing is he will poo in his underwear, come tell me, beeline to the bathroom, get in the tub, strip, turn the water on (we have the shower only), rinse himself clean, take soap and wash and then rinse. I'm basically there to clean the underwear, supervise and get his towel. If i try to help he gets mad!
What do i do? Any ideas? This is driving me flipin crazy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
squishylove
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I think he's become to used to the routine of what happens when he poops in his underwear and it's not a big deal anymore.  Have you tried making him clean his underwear out so he sees how much work it is?
Does he usually poop at the same time everyday?  If so, make his walk around naked so he doesn't have underwear to poop in and maybe that will make him go to the toilet when he feels it coming out.

dababiesdreams
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:32 AM
his dad makes him clean them out himself.....i'm more of a hurry and lets get on to what we need to do. Maybe i should make him?

The pooping doesn't happen at the same time everyday....rarely in the middle of the day but then its a toss up as if its in the morning or after noon. When its just me and the boys i don't mind him running around naked but when his sister gets home from school i make him at least have underwear on. What do i do there?

Quoting squishylove:

I think he's become to used to the routine of what happens when he poops in his underwear and it's not a big deal anymore.  Have you tried making him clean his underwear out so he sees how much work it is?
Does he usually poop at the same time everyday?  If so, make his walk around naked so he doesn't have underwear to poop in and maybe that will make him go to the toilet when he feels it coming out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dababiesdreams
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 1:19 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LivinDeadGurl
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 6:38 PM

BUMP!

mommasboys1246
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I feel your pain. I was just pregnant, while potty training my 3 yr old. And he never wanted to go poop on the potty. with the pregnanc hormones, i wanted to scream. But luckily about a week before he strted preschool-suddenly he was going on the toilet. Don't really have any advice, but that he will go when ready, just keep trying(lord knows i tried everything). good luck to you!

sweettigeress
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 11:03 AM

hang in there.

squishylove
by on Aug. 26, 2010 at 9:28 AM

sorry nothing seems to be working but I bet in time it will.  It took my DD about 6 months til now she'll just say I need to go poop as she's walking to the bathroom to go.  I didn't think I'd ever see the day when she would just go but it happened eventually.
I don't really have any other advice except time will help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)