Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my family being fair?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:17 AM
  • 18 Replies
I'm engaged to a wonderful man! We have set our wedding date for September 24, 2011. This is a second marriage for both of us. My family keeps saying that its not fair to my younger sister that I am getting married for a second time before my sister is married once. My parents paid for my first wedding but my fiance and I with some help of his parents are paying this time. My dad isn't able to work due to medical issues. I wouldn't ask them for a dime towards it. My sister is a little aggravated about it but excepts it. What you other moms think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaurenMarie2307
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:19 AM

You cant and shouldnt have to put off your life and your love bc some one else didnt find it...thats just not fair.  Just go on with things, and she will come around eventually (I hope)  GL hun

KatherineM
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM
I think they are acting Childish. They should just be happy for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rissarin
I think that's kind of selfish of them to think that. Why put off getting married just to give your sister time to do it? If its your second one I think she's had enough time to have one... haha. You go for it girl!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KBix
This

Quoting LaurenMarie2307:

You cant and shouldnt have to put off your life and your love bc some one else didnt find it...thats just not fair.  Just go on with things, and she will come around eventually (I hope)  GL hun

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I am my DH 1st & he is my 2nd marriage. His sister thought she had the RIGHT to get married 1st since she had been with her bf longer. They were broken up when I met her. I said I was not willing to put my life on hold just because she was not even engaged. My DH is older than her (plus a type 1 diabetic so serious health problems). We got married & ignored her rantings.

MoMMYoFGJH
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM

what does it matter how many times you get married?? why does that have anything to do with your sister?? do they honeslty expect you to wait til your sister gets married before you marry again?? I mean some people never get married.. so what if she never finds the right person and never gets married?? you're supposed to just not get married?? and they aren't footing the bill so it's not like they're gonna pay for 2weddings for you and only 1for her.. tell them to get over it!! they're being stupid!!

NoahsMom1215
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM

is your sister engaged or planning to get married in the near future? either way is a strange thing to ask of you.

TempestRayne
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I think your family shouldn't expect you to wait. They aren't footing the bills, so why do they care?

Britti210
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I know how hard family stress can be we are constantly doing things to please other people in our family and sometimes sacrificing our happiness to make them happy - that being said marriage is not something we would have done that with if you guys are happy and want God to bless your marriage then absolutely do it, there is no reason for you to listen to other people especially if there is no financial part of it, I know when people think about paying for things they want you to do it a certain way and that can cause so much stress - just do what makes you happy because at the end of the day its your family that you are starting!

gabbysmom2007
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I don't see why you should have to plan YOUR wedding around your sister's life? It's not your fault she isn't married. I think she is just frustrated that she hasn't found mr right yet, which I can feel for. It's your special day and I am not sure why your parents are so frustrated since you're not asking them for money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)