Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pit bull Questions (again)*edit*

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:34 AM
  • 23 Replies
Ok so I posted before about pit bulls and wanting one
well we think we found one,he's 9months old and the reason they are giving him up is bc he is to big and gets in the way, he's great with kids...
Now after reading about them even tho I had one and she was great after reading on them I'm afraid to get one that's not a puppy.. DH does not want a puppy if it's not house trained tho...
So moms I need help/advice/stories(good ones lol) of your pit and help choseing the right dog.. What do I need to look for? How do I find the great dog from a good dog and a good dog from a bad one..
Obviously my kids come first and I don't want to be screwed with someone saying the dog is great with kids and it turns on mine
help

*Edit*
I was contacted tonight by someone with puppies that were house trained so and asked to take both of them.. DH first said no but I think he's warming up to the idea lol... Here's my issue, We have a healthy lab/pekapoo mix pup I got about 3wkz ago for my bday,we were looking for a pit bc DH and I both like the breed and in the area we are in we need protection and a pit was the only one we can agree on,so yes a older pit was what we are looking for but so many have said it's not wise to get them older so anyway fast forward to the email.. The guy has 2 puppies both absoulty adorable and both free, I said great! Well upon looking up his email addy I found that he listed them about a week ago for 200... Now that he has 2 left he just wants then gone??he said they have first shots and vet checked but I don't know... I said I would take one.. He then came back with you can have both free... I'm just worried something is wrong. My head is saying it ok but my gut is saying there's something up...
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShellGardner
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:36 AM

I wouldnt get one that wasnt a puppy. You personally have no clue why they are really getting rid of this dog. My SM got rid of a dog once because it peed in the house. She did not tell the next guy this when she gave her away.

aysherrell01
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:44 AM
When we got ours I looked for one that was house trained & had been temperament tested so, that I knew she didnt have any kind of aggression problems. I ended up going with a rescue group called bama bully rescue.. where are you located & I can probably help you to find a good rescue in your area.
tonjahut
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:44 AM

if you choose to get this one that isn't a puppy, make sure that it hasn't been on a chain or tied up outside, this tends to make them more aggressive. 9 months old isn't too old to train them how you want them. I grew up with pits, my dad bred them, we never had any turn out to be aggressive.  I would ask the owner if you could go and spend some time with the dog before you agree to take it.

momma_814
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Hi i'm Zayra and we've had pits before and found that they are great family pets. We currently have a lab/pit mix. He was a rescue we got him when he was only 3months old. His name is Sonny and loves my kids. I think that you should find a rescue in your area that is strictly a pit-bull rescue. There are a lot of needy animals who are really awesome. They have older dogs and puppies so you can choose.  They need lots of love and it takes a special person to raise and own a great pit-bull. Hope you find what your looking for. Here is a pic of our dog:0) 

Sweet_Holly
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I got ours at 6 months old.. My DH would not get another dog that wasn't potty trained.. so I had no choice, but she is a good dog, she was abused though so she is scared shitless of anything & everything.. and pretty much glues herself to us family.. she doesn't attack, bite, scratch do nothing..  she is the most meek dog I have ever seen. 

I got lucky with how she is tbh, cause she wont hurt a fly & acts like a baby herself lol =p she pouts alot , so we're trying to work on that, help her understand she is loved.

Maybe do a test day around your kids before actually adopting the dog? 

here is Esmee pouting cause I told her not to go on the bed while I made it lol.. she is such a baby.

http://www.facebook.com/lovely.holly

❤♥RawR أنا جميل RawR♥❤

ilovemylovey
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:13 PM
If you're getting a pit I would only get a puppy. I have a half pit half lab who is an angel but is only half pit. Lots of my friends are familiar with pits and have them and they would only get puppys with kids. Not that you can't get an adult without a temper but why take any chances.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mikeybsmom2006
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I personally would reather have an adult pit from a rescue that has been temper tested then a puppy. Even if you raise some right from all the imbreeding that goes on they can still turn out mean(this isn't just pits, all dogs it happens to even labs and golden retrevers)

Jess8685
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM
Bump... Thanks=] for all advice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MunchiesMom324
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Our first wasn't a planned adoption... DH works for a rental chain and he's a repo man... he was doing a repo in the ghetto and came across this poor baby... I mean, 3 mo old pit puppy on a logging chain, ripped to pieces because his POS owners thought it would be cool to use him as a "bait dog" with home-job lopsided battlecropped ears...

Needless to say, DH told them "if you dont know how to properly care for a dog, you don't deserve to have one" and we brought Gideon home that day.  We nursed him back to health, housetrained him, and he protects our family with all that he has. 

Trixie was starved (you could count her vertabrae) and once we nursed her back to health, she became a fun-loving (still shy around strangers) dog...

Sadie... well, Sadie is just Sadie.  She was given to us at 6 weeks.  She's now 6 mos old and a pain in the ass... but I love her!!

Jess8685
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:56 PM
BUmp for edit
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)