Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you......

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:01 AM
  • 8 Replies

Define an alcoholic?

Don't bash

Just give facts

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KailesMommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:06 AM

As far as I can think would be, someone who can't put it down, can't just have a few.....has to get drunker than all can be. Has to have it every day even for no reason. idk if that helps.

MeLuvYou
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Someone who can't put alcohol down. Drinks heavy on a daily basis. Alcohol disrupts their daily lives.

AllanaJane
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:09 AM

Umm i don't think there is such thing.. If there was then I would be one....

Angelina052105
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:11 AM

One time I was alone on New Years and just said, "what the heck" and drank some wild turkey, got a little tipsy...someone once said because I was drinking alone I could have been an alcoholic..but I'm not exactly sure... maybe some one who puts alcohol above more important things. Who can't just have one...

CuteandCurvy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:21 AM

Someone who has an addiction to it. You "can't live without it", you need it to function, to feel "normal",and you go through withdrawl when you can't have it.

ajtherad
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:31 AM

My cousin and her boyfriend. Their photos should be next to the definition.

Ok, really. I define an alcoholic as someone who drinks to get drunk (or just to drink) every single night (or more often throughout the week than not), who "needs" alcohol to calm anxiety/stress/whatever, and who can't handle going without it. They may also lie about doing other things to cover up for the fact that they are drinking yet again..depends on the person, of course.

I hope this made sense..I need sleep.

saraface5383
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:42 AM
Do you think you may be? Or so/dh? No bashing here at all...just wondering...my dh's mom's ex was he would wake up drink until sleep then wake up again and start all over and it was the same day he would kill a 30 pack in a day by himself and he was soo mean without it so she would buy it he was a major douche for the pain he caused
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HeartsLove
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:00 AM

Well to me it's someone who puts alcohol above anything else in their lives. If they can't pay bills but can buy alcohol, that's not good. If they make it a routine, that's not good. If they get angry if a SO or family member or friend talks about their drinking habits, that's not good. If you drink something that you can't stand the taste of because it'll mess you up, noooot good. Then there's the obvious, drunkards, drinking until your body shuts down, etc.

I don't feel right drinking alone, and I don't. I don't know how legitimate it is when they say alcoholism is hereditary but I don't wanna find out. If I ever feel like I NEED a drink, I won't have one. And I only drink if I like the flavor of something, which is usually a margarita. Sometimes a mojito. I keep strict tabs on how when and where I drink, because I don't wanna find out. Also, because I always have my kids and won't drink around them. If I do, they're in bed and I have someone else here with me. I'm paranoid and terrified I'd be alone and something would happen and I'd be too drunk to function properly to save them.

Heart_Transplants.gif

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)