Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not sure what to do

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:21 AM
  • 21 Replies

I'm due 6 days before Lydia's 5th birthday, and I have no idea what to do about her party this year. We had planned on taking a Disney cruise before we found out we were expecting, so now that's out the window.

I don't know if I'll feel well enough physically to throw a big party before the new one arrives, and I assume I'll want at least a few weeks after the birth to recover before considering doing the party then.

Any suggestions? I'm starting to think there will be no party this year =(

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
saduncan
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Maybe do her party a couple of weeks early rather than late?  That way she has the attention on her before the baby arrives.

"Great. So you've fallen in love again. Go wash yourself off. Dirty stuff." --STM

Love_My_Leah
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:28 AM
I agree, I would do it early! Even a month early if you have to. We did DDs party a month late this year because we had a lot of construction going on in the house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DeagynsMommy09
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:28 AM
Maybe explain to her how tired you are gonna be? I would throw her party maybe a week or two early for friends and whatnot. On her actual birthday, get her some cupcakes, or maybe DH can take her out for some ice cream or something, and let her open the presents you and DH got her. Im sure there are some people you can rely on to help you out. GL momma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cadlecr4
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I had one of my dd's the day before my other dd's birtrhday. I just threw her party a few (2) weeks early. She didnt mind   it was like she had 2 birthdays  :)

JMKristy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Do you have a big enough house to have it there? If so, and you can afford it, maybe like a bounce house and have pony rides, or a petting zoo or something? If you have a lot of family around maybe they will chip in and help clean after the party... or check into a cleaning service!

mytwosons28
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Quoting saduncan:

Maybe do her party a couple of weeks early rather than late?  That way she has the attention on her before the baby arrives.

wildsun
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Quoting JMKristy:

Do you have a big enough house to have it there? If so, and you can afford it, maybe like a bounce house and have pony rides, or a petting zoo or something? If you have a lot of family around maybe they will chip in and help clean after the party... or check into a cleaning service!

Some of our local churchs rent bounce houses for cheaper than the amusement companies in the area. Hopefully you have family friends (and a loving husband)  to give you a hand. Tons of sugar and a place to work it off should be plently of entertainment for a lil one. Or try Chuck E Cheese, and have the deets taken care of.

Simple-Beauty
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:00 PM

We have plenty of room, and a huge deck and back yard (we had her party here this past April)...I just don't want to have to deal with all the planning and organizing.

If it comes down to it, we'll have it at the zoo. It's only $150 for up to 12 kids and I wouldnt have to worry about cleaning anything. The more I think about it, the better that's sounding.

Quoting JMKristy:

MAdkins82
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:06 PM

My 2 dds are a month apart so  had a little more time, but I did the party at a place called Billy Bob's, it's like a Chucky Cheese.  You show up and they do everything else.  They serve the pizze drinks cake clean up everything.  It is nice and the kids have a blast.  And I would def do it a few weeks early bc you are not going to want to deal with any of it a week before you due date, if you even make it that far.  I never made it within 6 days of my due date.

littlemissmj
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I would just throw the party a few weeks early, and then maybe on her birthday just set aside a gift for her to open and have a special dinner or something. 6 days isn't a very large window, and if you go into labor before your due date than chances are you won't want to do anything. So to me, the early idea is better. The zoo sounds like an awesome birthday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)