Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Divorce-PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:24 AM
  • 9 Replies

I have NO IDEA what I'm doing.

Okay so my husband (who I'd really like to make my EX husband) is deploying to Afghanistan with his contracting job in October...will our divorce be on hold until he gets back or can we go through the process with him there?

Secondly HOW do I go about filing and what not. He was supposed to file for us (never did) and we were supposed to be in agreement on everything, but we're not anymore. So what's my first step in all of that and how much does it roughly cost? Is there anyway I can get aide for it? I'm terrified by the lawyer fees. I can barely afford to feed my kids right now.

Thanks in advanced.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
DeagynsMommy09
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Dunno what to tell you, sorry mamma! But, here's a hug, and a bump for ya! hugs

DeagynsMommy09
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:28 PM

BUMP!

MommaBoop922
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:32 PM

It all depends on your state... some states require a separation period before divorce some states will do it right away... Its best if you two can come to an agreement to avoid too many legal fees... I have never heard of them offering aid but you can research some lawyers and see if they will do it for you at a reasonable price or work with you or maybe even find someone who will do it pro bono... As far as the process... it depends on if you guys can come to an agreement if it will be on hold because he will need to be there for everything but like I said every state is different so try to do an internet search and see what you can get from there... Good Luck and I hope some of this helps! 

MeFowler
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM

it really depends on what state you live in and what laws they have. it also depends on if your husband gets a lawyer. i just recently got divorced in june every state is different if you want help i will help you. there are organizations out there that will help you pay for the divorce and get child support and stuff like that if you're interested. if you want a buddy to help you out with this just let me know

mlmartinez
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:39 PM

good luck dear...my best friend is actually in the EXACT same situation right now!

.onelove.
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Yeah the other problem is we don't even live in the same state when he is state side. So I have NO clue how to go about it. He probably will get a lawyer because he's been getting really ugly with the divorce :(

And thanks I could definitely use a friend who knows what's going on. I accepted your invite :)

Quoting MeFowler:

it really depends on what state you live in and what laws they have. it also depends on if your husband gets a lawyer. i just recently got divorced in june every state is different if you want help i will help you. there are organizations out there that will help you pay for the divorce and get child support and stuff like that if you're interested. if you want a buddy to help you out with this just let me know

.onelove.
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Quoting DeagynsMommy09:

Dunno what to tell you, sorry mamma! But, here's a hug, and a bump for ya! hugs

.onelove.
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Send my luck her way as well! It's definitely not fun or easy :(

Quoting mlmartinez:

good luck dear...my best friend is actually in the EXACT same situation right now!

amber_1024
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I wish you the best of luck hun...

Just saying, but get on Public Assistance if you do need it... Don't be embarrassed or ashamed..

(going off the you can barely afford to feed the kids comment)

Also get child support from him.. Their his child(ren) too.

Good Luck!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)