Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else have babies that want nothing to do with them?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:19 PM
  • 26 Replies

So my son is 15 months and I have tried everyday to interact with him.  We try play  doh and coloring and building and chasing eachother but everytime I try to play with him he just completly ignores me as if im not even there.  I feel bad because im trying to teach him things he still only says 3 words and im so worried about his speech so i try to work with him but he wants nothing to do with playing with mommy.  Please tell me, am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweettigeress
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:23 PM

My dd was the same way. When I wanted to read to her I'd just grab a book and read whether she was looking at the pictures or not. That might help with his speech. However, my dd didn't fully start talking till she turned 2. Your son is still pretty young. Let him explore and just watch him from the side lines. Get in there once and a while and tell him what color a toy is or what shape something is. 

mamacifuni
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:25 PM
if ur really concerned you could talk to ur pediatrician and have him evaluated
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockinmomto2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:25 PM

My older two like to play with me sometimes, but usually they like to play on their own. The baby needs a lot more attention (at almost 9 months), but she's currently playing by herself. Your son is just independent. And my two older ones didn't really start speaking until 20-22 months. Don't worry too much about it!

juansmommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:31 PM

*HUGS* I was in this exact situation with my dd. i lost sleep over it, she did evrything your baby is doing, and she outgrew it:) she is now almost 3 and is still vry independant and prefers to stay to herself but her speech is awesome.  15 months is still pretty young, i wouldnt worry my son was 2 before he could fully talk, my dd talkd a little earlier but i feel its jsut because she learned from her brother. You are not doing anything wrong nor is he:)

lilmissmommy558
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:33 PM

My son just turned 2 and he is actually more attached to my neighbors 16 yr old daughter than myself ad my husband. I know he loves me but to him that his best friend and she spends alot of time with my family and him and he has really progressd with his talking and etc learning from her

wiccamommytobe
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:45 PM

BOTH of my daughters are the same way. I wouldn't worry about it. He seems very independent and that is a GOOD thing. Also he is still young so only saying 3 words isn't anything to worry about. My oldest would say a word once or twice and then we'd never hear her say it again but I know she understand A LOT of words so I just chalk it up to her not wanting to talk. I encourage both of my girls by sigining simple words and they do sign back on occasion. Also I enourage them to play independently its good for them. I'm sure he is just fine.

Littlebaer
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:47 PM

not to scare you but have her checked out for autisim the doctor should be able to help

LeanneC
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Let him lead you.  Take him on walks, let him explore and tell him the names of the things he looks at.   At this age they don't really do well with "organized play".    Follow what he wants to do.

Don't worry about the speech (unless that paci is in his mouth all the time getting in the way).   Most kids only have a few words at this age.  It's nothing to worry about.

malissamsmith
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:38 PM

no but he is way too social to have it he responds to me when asked a question by nodding his head and is very personable but I dont know much about autism so im not sure if that would eliminate him from that

Quoting Littlebaer:

not to scare you but have her checked out for autisim the doctor should be able to help

malissamsmith
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Thank You that was very helpful

Quoting LeanneC:

Let him lead you.  Take him on walks, let him explore and tell him the names of the things he looks at.   At this age they don't really do well with "organized play".    Follow what he wants to do.

Don't worry about the speech (unless that paci is in his mouth all the time getting in the way).   Most kids only have a few words at this age.  It's nothing to worry about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)