Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

VBAC after 2 c sections ? Piog

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:37 PM
  • 11 Replies
Is it possible or safe? For both of my previous pregnancies my pelvis didn't move out enough for ds or dd to fit. I'm wondering if I can consider a VBAC for my 3rd? But I'm not sure if it's safe. Kwim? I just had a c section almost a year ago. Any advice would be nice. I've alway wanted to have a normal vaginal birth.

I'm not comfortable with a home birth as the hospital/birthing center that I go to is nearly 2 hours away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NearSeattleMom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:18 PM

It really depends on who you ask.  Were you induced during your previous labors? 

mommyjenn84
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:20 PM
I was told absolutely not. But I had a horrible labor with oldest dd. And two weeks pp I almost bled out so both my obd said no way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barronbaby
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:22 PM
I went into labor for dd they did give me pitocin to help the contractions.

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

It really depends on who you ask.  Were you induced during your previous labors? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eddysmommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:25 PM

i think if your body does not "get ready" for birth then a VBAC may not work for you.  I had a VBAC  but with my 1st the cord was in a knot that they had to do a c section and it was not my body having difficulties. KWIM?

MommaOf2Boys10
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:34 PM

With my first DS I was induced and after 33 horrible hours I was told I was not making any progress (he was too big to move my pelvis as well)....so the doctor told me I could either sit there and wait until he comes or they could do a C-section...I went with that... Then when DH and I decided to try for baby number 2 I was determined to have a vaginal birth.. Where I live noone near by would do a VBAC because there is a slight risk of uterine rupture.. It is only a 1 % chance but it does happen... The only doctors that told me they would do it for me were 2 hours away and like I said I was determined. So I went with them!!! Throughout my pregnancy I was nervous but excited.. I just wanted to experience that vaginal birth and being able to hold my baby right away. I asked the doctor since my first was such a big baby for me if it would be a problem this time around... She just said "it is totally up to you, but if  he/she is going to be as big or bigger than your first...we recommend just doing the c-section" ...That got me thinking... And as time went by and the bigger I got I just knew he would not be smaller than my first... and I thought to myself "why try and have a vaginal birth and then him not even fit ...and then i would end up having a c-section anyways" .....So the last two weeks I chickend out...I decided to go with the c-section... and thank god I did because he was bigger than my first... Sorry I went on about my experiences but to answer your question... It all depends on the doctor.. Alot of doctors won't do it... But if there is a really good hospital near you they might. Usually after 2 c-sections that is pushing it... But I would just call the hospitals around you and ask..Thats what I did. Goodluck!!!

ComPLiiKaTed
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:35 PM
I had 2 csections and I asked my Dr is it possible she said probably not and it was for the same reason as you so do not count on it I just had my 3rd premature by csection but I was scheduled for a csection so yeah expect another one.
Honeybun09
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:35 PM

BUMP!

kailu1835
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Yes a VBAC CAN be safe no matter how many csections you've had, but that is dependent on several factors, including where the placenta lies.  IMO and from reading all kinds of scientific info, pelvic size is rarely a medical reason for a c-section.  The only thing I question is if your pelvis is fused together?  As in no cartilage for separation?  Otherwise, you should be able to push out a baby just fine provided you aren't on your back or sitting, the most common and doctor-popular positions as those are easiest for doctors (not you).  If you squat or are on hands and knees your pelvis is at its optimal size for delivering.  My advice would be to find a doctor comfortable doing vbacs, and have HIM evaluate you.  Don't have anyone evaluate you whos never delivered a vbac.

kailu1835
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:50 PM

The funny thing is that your risk of rupture due to induction is higher than your risk of rupture due to vbac

http://www.ican-online.org/vbac/vbac-and-pharmaceutical-induction-help-or-hindrance "Finally, there is the issue of uterine rupture. The facts are clear: pharmaceutical induction increases the risk of uterine rupture.39 The rate of rupture in a VBAC labor which is not induced is only 1/2 of one percent, less than your risk of experiencing several other major childbirth complications. However, when you add induction to the picture, the risks increase. A recent study which gained a great deal of media attention showed that in VBAC labors induced with Pitocin, the risk of rupture was .77%. With prostaglandin inductions, the rupture rate increased to 2.45%!"

So basically, if you want an induction, and your vbac friendly ob thinks it's safe, go for it, but refuse an induction to lower your risks of rupture.  Bottom line though, is that whether the doctor wants to or not, they can not legally force you to have a c-section.  According to law, you are the patient until the baby is born, and you can refuse treatment for yourself and the doctors can't do anything about it.  However, if you do take this stance, be prepared to back it up in court... so obviously only go this route if you're in it for the long haul lol

Quoting MommaOf2Boys10:

With my first DS I was induced and after 33 horrible hours I was told I was not making any progress (he was too big to move my pelvis as well)....so the doctor told me I could either sit there and wait until he comes or they could do a C-section...I went with that... Then when DH and I decided to try for baby number 2 I was determined to have a vaginal birth.. Where I live noone near by would do a VBAC because there is a slight risk of uterine rupture.. It is only a 1 % chance but it does happen... The only doctors that told me they would do it for me were 2 hours away and like I said I was determined. So I went with them!!! Throughout my pregnancy I was nervous but excited.. I just wanted to experience that vaginal birth and being able to hold my baby right away. I asked the doctor since my first was such a big baby for me if it would be a problem this time around... She just said "it is totally up to you, but if  he/she is going to be as big or bigger than your first...we recommend just doing the c-section" ...That got me thinking... And as time went by and the bigger I got I just knew he would not be smaller than my first... and I thought to myself "why try and have a vaginal birth and then him not even fit ...and then i would end up having a c-section anyways" .....So the last two weeks I chickend out...I decided to go with the c-section... and thank god I did because he was bigger than my first... Sorry I went on about my experiences but to answer your question... It all depends on the doctor.. Alot of doctors won't do it... But if there is a really good hospital near you they might. Usually after 2 c-sections that is pushing it... But I would just call the hospitals around you and ask..Thats what I did. Goodluck!!!

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:25 PM

there's a vbac group on here that you could check out. a lot of women on there are very educated about vbacs and have had experiences with vbacs after multiple c-sections, so maybe you could get some answers and see others' personal experiences as well! here's the group if you're interested: http://www.cafemom.com/group/1540

but yes, it is safe. i've known women who've had a vbac after more then 2 c-sections (and as many as 4)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)