Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

schools removing playground equipment...

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:38 PM
  • 17 Replies
The county we live in is having to remove some playground equipment from their school playgrounds because of lawsuits. They've had 2 lawsuits within the last year because of kids getting hurt on the playground. (There's an article about it that I'll add later. I'm using my phone so I can't do it at the moment.) Now this playground equipment is the same type of equipment that you and I grew up playing on, (except I'm sure its been updated since.) Its swings, metal slides, little merry-go-rounds, etc.
Now, if your child were to say, break a leg jumping off the side of a slide, doing what kids do, would you blame the school? Would you think that it would be the schools fault if another child jumped off of a swing and landed on your child and caused him or her harm? Would you go as far as to file a lawsuit against them?
Now I know most schools have aides on the playground that try and prevent kids from jumping off of swings and such and most schools have 'playground rules', but the aides can't keep an eye on everyone at once, and let's face it, kids break rules no matter how well enforced. Its part of being a kid. -so with those things in mind and without blaming the aides (I used to be one of them :) ), what are your thoughts??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xxmr_boobzxx
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:50 PM
No, I would not sue the schools for things my child did dangerously or another kid did dangerously. The only time I would be worried enough to sue is if the equiptment was faulty or there was no playground aides to even try to stop kids from doing these kind of things. On the otherhand certain equiptment such as the merry-go-rounds can be extra dangerous and many kids are not educated on how to properly play on them. I busted my hand and nearly had to get stitched due to falling off of one. Kids will make anything into a dangerous item though. Jump roapes, balls, even sidewalk chalk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrjjmt
by Jennie on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:54 PM

No I would not sue the school. My SD broke her arm on the monkey bars in kindergarten and her mom started talking about suing the school. My DH said no and since he had primary physical and legal custody, nothing happened. The way I figure is that kids will be kids. It is silly to sue the school over something that was an accident.

vboatner
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:54 PM

People are so sue happy these days. They will do anything to make a dollar. When I was in school, I knocked out my front 2 teeth on the monkey bars, and my mother did not try and sue the school. Neither did any other parents whose children got hurt at school. As a matter of fact, I got in trouble by my mother for not playing in them like they were supposed to be played on. That is just crazy to sue the school! Next thing you know they are going to be taking out parks and such because kids get hurt there too. The only aides we had were the actual teachers, and the kids by far out number them by 20-30:1. Like you said, they cannot watch everyone at once.

The playgrounds for the littler kids have all plastic equipment. There are no monkey bars or merry go round and stuff like that any more. Just a couple plastice slides and swings. As well as teether ball.

JoyfulSurprise
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Holy Moley!  If my parents sued every time I got hurt on the playground I'd never have been allowed at school!  These days everyone is too "sue" happy.  What happened to taking responsibility for ours and our kids actions?  What next?  Baning recess all together?  (That is happening in some places too but for scholastic reasons, not lawsuit reasons...bah!) 

Jason's Wifey (Feb 10, 2007)
Penelope Marie's Mommy (Jan 16, 2010)  
Follow me on my blog: getmomitude.blogspot.com 

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, but spiritual beings having a human experience." - Teilhard de Chardin

Love_My_Leah
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:48 AM

Nope.. those things happen. Part of being a kid.

That being said, if it was because the equipment was broken, that would be another story.

ashleydwnng
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:32 AM

I think parents are stupid for sueing the school. people will do anything to get money these days.

JasonsMom2007
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:33 AM
Nope
We haven't had metal slides or merry go arounds here in probably 20 years
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMKristy
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 10:44 AM

None of the schools where I live have any metal play equipment, monkey bars, or swings any more.... It's sad, I remember how much fun I used to have with all of that stuff. No, I wouldn't sue, nor blame any of the teachers if my child were injured. I guess those few that would ruin it for everyone though.

datssumsheet
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 11:07 AM

They took all that stuff out where I grew up almost 25 years ago.

eddysmommy
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 11:09 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)