Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get this baby out of my bed?! LOL (long)

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:10 AM
  • 8 Replies

So my wonderful 11 month old was a great sleeper- until about 2 months ago. By 6 weeks old she was sleeping stright through the night. She has always been able to put her self to sleep. Just a piece of cake until...

It started with an early morning awakinging (between 4-6 am) and I could never get her to go back to sleep. Not even after a bottle. I know she is tired because she is crabby and rubs her little eyes and just acts sleepy. I tried to let her fuss her self back to sleep but- no go. She just works her self up. No real issue because I would just get up with her for the day and get an earlier start.

Then she started late at night wakings. She would wake up around 10pm and stay up until 12 or 1am. No mater what I do, if I am not holding her she is screaming. She will not fall asleep on me nor will she CIO. We are currently living in a very small townhome and when I try to get her to CIO she wakes up her brothers and then I have three kids to get back to bed instead of one.

Well.... now she is waking up at all hours of the night... and ends up in bed with me. I know she is going through separation anxiety and just wants company. But.... I don't really want her in my bed... welll... actually... I kind of like it.. but I don't want ot start bad habits and she is very wiggly and is keeping up my husband by kicking him. 

How do I get this child outa my bed and into hers and back to sleeping through the night?! Any ideas?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
aydansmomma04
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Come on! Some on has to have some ideas!

1boyand4girls
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Do you have a swing? My daughter went through that stage.  She would sleep with me and my DH but I was afraid he would roll on her and I didnt want her on the edge. So I tried my battery operated swing, and it worked.

aydansmomma04
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:47 AM

She is way too big for a swing now. SHe is 11 months old and 22lbs.

Quoting 1boyand4girls:

Do you have a swing? My daughter went through that stage.  She would sleep with me and my DH but I was afraid he would roll on her and I didnt want her on the edge. So I tried my battery operated swing, and it worked.

Rachel42903
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:48 AM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dreamhopefaith
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:55 AM

hummmm... what if you tried to put her in your room but not in your bed, either pack n play or cradle or something of that sort?  If it is seperation anxiety that might help cuz she wouldn't feel alone.    Good Luck!

this sounds very silly, but someone once told me to get a fish and put it in her room and have it be her pet, that way she never feels alone...... take that advice for what it is :-)  haha. 

aydansmomma04
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:01 AM

This is one option I am seriouly concidering. I have a pack and play so all I need to do is set it up in our room. I will put her down in her room in her crib to begin the night, then move her to the pack and play if she wakes up. I also thought about putting an air mattress in her room and if she wakes up- I go into her room and lay down on the matresses.

Funny thing- Last night I am sound asleep and my DH wakes me and ask me to move our daughter because her little feet are digging right into his back. I didn't even remember getting her and putting her in bed with us, so I wonder if I will remember that I am suppost to put her in her pack and play and not in my bed.

I like the idea about the fish... I am not sure how it will help our situation, but it might be soemthing neat for her to watch when she is trying to fall alseep.

Quoting dreamhopefaith:

hummmm... what if you tried to put her in your room but not in your bed, either pack n play or cradle or something of that sort?  If it is seperation anxiety that might help cuz she wouldn't feel alone.    Good Luck!

this sounds very silly, but someone once told me to get a fish and put it in her room and have it be her pet, that way she never feels alone...... take that advice for what it is :-)  haha. 

aanddplus2
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:09 AM

My son would do this...I think it is a stage that some kids go through. He finally stopped once his baby sister came but would want to get in out bed every once in awhile. One time we had 2 kids in our bed and I didn't get any sleep at all between them both being in our bed, the little one up for feedings and them both kicking me in their sleep. Maybe you could try rocking her to sleep if she'll let you, or reading her a story. Make before bed you and her time...

carismama
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:19 AM

I had the SAME problem, minus the brothers.  My Caroline co-slept with us until she was about 9 months...and although I wanted her to sleep in her crib, she SCREAMED and screamed until I was sure the neighbors would call the police.  What worked for us was....I rocked her mostly to sleep and then put her to bed.  She had a sleepsheep, a mobile playing soft music, and a glowing seahorse to keep her company.  Sometimes I had to rub her back once I put her down to calm her again.  Then she would sleep for about two hours.  When she woke up, she was mad because she was in her crib.  I would rock her back to sleep.  Each time took about 20 min.  Halfway through the night, I'd move her back to our bed.  Once she got used to the idea that she'd sleep the first half in her crib, then the second half in ours, she went to bed easily.  Her wakeups would get farther apart.  And then magically, one night, she didn't wake up until 6:00 a.m.  My husband and I cried with happiness.  Especially me.  :)  She would occasionally wake up, but after waking up for the day in her crib and realizing I hadn't disappeared, she never came back to our bed.  She is now 14 mos and although not currently sleeping thru the night (she's teething and we're nap transitioning her) it has helped enormously to not have her in our bed.  I honestly think the two weeks sacrificing my sleep and having her sleepy toys helped the most, especially since I started playing them WHILE I was cuddling her.  Good luck; I hope whatever you try works!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)