Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ideas Please

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:34 AM
  • 13 Replies

We are leaving Friday for vacation.  It will be a 13 hour drive and I need ideas for fun things my girls can do in the car.  They are 5 and 3.  I have coloring books and crayons ready to go and a portable DVD player.  But I dont want them spending the entire trip watching movies.  Any ideas?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aydansmomma04
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Do they have a leapster game system? My boys love those for long car rides. What about making bingo type cards with pictures and see who can find everything first. Playing I spy also keeps my boys entertained for long periods of time. Get them a few new toys and bring them out one at a time.

aanddplus2
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Go to the dollar store if you have one and pick up some cheap car games. I remember they had a car bingo which was fun. You could bring dolls for them to play with also.

Amanda120486
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:58 AM

idk if they still have them but those books that u could use with the invisible ink. when u colored on it with the marker the picture or words would show up. those always kept me entertained.. or play i spy n look out the window.they have education books also or leapfrog stuff

RyanNKileysMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:11 AM
Pipe cleaners... Let them make things out of pipe cleaners my DS loves them... I make stuff too lol and it can occupy them for a while... And I know you might not like it but try a kids sing a long CD my DS and DD love to sing and its something you can do as a family while driving. Be sure they have pillows too... Long drives like that will have a nap in there I promise
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shaysmommy5810
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:13 AM
bring along their favorite music, have a fake talent competition in the car:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orange4agua72
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Do they have a magnadoodle? MY kiddos LOVE them!!!

tinaleigh
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:25 AM

You can make car bingo (my mom always did it for us she would just draw pictures of common things we'd see along the way now a days you could use the computer to print out a bunch fairly quickly) I love the idea of the talent competition. Eye spy is a good one too. Love the dollar store for cheap ideas I always go by myself and keep the stuff put away till we're in the car and try to spread the new stuff out through the trip so it keeps it fresh. OH OH an idea my DS looooved when he was about 3 was when we'd do pee stops I let him play with bubble guns for about 10 mins and let him run around ect. He had something to look forward to with every stop and it gave him some time to stretch his legs. Hope you have a great trip!

mommyeast4
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Thank you all for all the ideas.  We are leaving at 6pm so I am hoping they will sleep the majority of the trip.  I just needed ideas for when they were awake and all of these sound great.  Thanks again!

wildsun
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Look for small games that are magnetic. Probably interest the 5 yo more than the 3 yo, but I remember loving those as a child. Is it possible to drive at night? That seems way easier to me. Also, CD's for the kids, to keep them singing and doing a little seat dancing is better than watching DVD's the whole way. 

mommyeast4
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM

We are actually leaving at night but I know they wont sleep the entire 13 hours.  So I needed some ideas for when they are awake.  I dont let them watch 13 hours worth of tv at home so I dont want to do it in the car either.  I wanted to see if anyone on CM had any different ideas than me.  And of course there were a lot of great ideas.  :)

Quoting wildsun:

Look for small games that are magnetic. Probably interest the 5 yo more than the 3 yo, but I remember loving those as a child. Is it possible to drive at night? That seems way easier to me. Also, CD's for the kids, to keep them singing and doing a little seat dancing is better than watching DVD's the whole way. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)