Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My One Year Old is Driving Me Nuts!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:10 AM
  • 14 Replies

My youngest DD is one now and for the past 2 months or so her sleep schedule has been so erratic I don't think I can take it much longer. She has always been an early riser(waking up between 7:00 and 7:30 am) but she took 2 naps a day and was generally pleasant. Now I never know when she'll wake up. Some days she'll sleep until 7, most days though she's up anywhere from 4:30 am to 6:45 am. She isn't awake because she's done sleeping. She is grumpy, tired and makes life miserable. She wakes up screaming like a little banshee. It takes awhile to get her to relax sometimes. Then she refuses to nap at all or at a reasonable hour. Sometimes she will lay down within 30 minutes of waking, scream, pass out for like an hour...Then be back up and grumpy. Sometimes she will stay up for 4-5 hours before taking a nap, but her naps are rarely long enough(usually under an hour). The big problem with her early naps is she never wants to take another one during the day so she is a pill hours before bedtime. Then there is another sleeping problem with her nights. She is always ready for bed and falls asleep quickly sometimes but others she just screams for hours on end. We tried letting her cry it out, staying in the room with her, etc. Nothing helps. Some nights she has cried every hour, fallen asleep for 15 mins-and hour, then wakes up screaming again. I have tried blocking out the light from her bedroom window in case it was the light changing that wakes her up(so not obviously since she wakes up before the sun even rises), using a white noise machine(since we live close to the highway and the big trucks make ALOT of noise), running a fan in her room, dressing her warmer, dressing her in cooler clothing, blankets, no blankets, changing her diaper in the middle of the night, EVERYTHING. And nothing has worked. I am about at the end of my rope. Now I am 35 weeks pregnant and I KNOW I will be sleep deprived when he gets here. I can handle that its a fact lol. But never knowing when my DD is going to wake up, if she'll be happy or just grumpy, if she'll ever take a nap...It's driving me nuts!!! Thanks for letting me rant lol. It's giving me something to do while I wait for her to start screaming again.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlemissmj
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Is she teething?This sounds like teething behavior to me. Sooner or later your DD will find a schedule that works for her. It's not unusual for them to fight naptime and bedtime. Just be consistent with what you are doing.

wiccamommytobe
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:07 PM

She is getting some teeth in now but this has been going on for months. I am just trying to stay sane and keep her on somewhat of a schedule.

datssumsheet
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Don;t get her up then.  Let her cry it out.  I am sorry before 6 am is way to early...lol

mom2twins9909
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:13 PM

My 1 year olds are driving me bonkers, but they are both teething. DD has 4th teeth coming in at once.

banging head into wall

KME3
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:17 PM
dont let her nap close to bed time after morning nap don't let her take another one...keep her up as long as you can and then put her to bed...all the sleep she gets during the day is making it hard for her to sleep at night..that's what I do with my two year old...sounds like nightmares or scared of the dark..even she screams turn her on her back and softy rub it and hum to her or softy say mommy here its ok shhh.....that's something that's ive done too...good luck...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kenietta2009
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I agree with littlemissmj. She could be teething and they could teeth for several months and some days it could be better than other. You may want to try the baby orajel and see if that helps at all. She also could be gassy , that could cause her a lot of discomfort too. Some babies are just fussy. I go for a drive when it seems like a little one just can't settle down.

aydansmomma04
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I am in the EXACT same situation as you!!! Minus being pregnant. My 11 month old daughter is doing the same thing. I believe it is the molars cutting through. They are HELL!!! Have you tried teething tablets and motrin? It is not a cure all- but they do help her rest a bit more.

Because of the same issue you are having- my daughter is now in our bed... sigh...

aydansmomma04
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Just FYI- orjel is  no longer recommended because it toughens the gums making it harder and more painful for the teeth to come though. 

Quoting kenietta2009:

I agree with littlemissmj. She could be teething and they could teeth for several months and some days it could be better than other. You may want to try the baby orajel and see if that helps at all. She also could be gassy , that could cause her a lot of discomfort too. Some babies are just fussy. I go for a drive when it seems like a little one just can't settle down.

luckychance1985
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Sounds like she might be teething. Or have you checked with her doctor to make sure she doesn't have an ear infection? She might not feel good. Maybe try giving her some infant Tylenol or Motrin if she has some teeth coming in. I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope things get better for you. 

wiccamommytobe
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Quoting KME3:

dont let her nap close to bed time after morning nap don't let her take another one...keep her up as long as you can and then put her to bed...all the sleep she gets during the day is making it hard for her to sleep at night..that's what I do with my two year old...sounds like nightmares or scared of the dark..even she screams turn her on her back and softy rub it and hum to her or softy say mommy here its ok shhh.....that's something that's ive done too...good luck...

Uhhhh....lol she doesn't nap more than ONCE a day, usually within an hour of getting up in the morning. That is the problem. She's not sleeping ENOUGH.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)