Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am at my wit's end with this kid and pottying

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:37 AM
  • 6 Replies

He has been going pee for months...was afraid to go number two for a really long time. So bad that he would hold it for days. It scared me and stressed me out so bad. Finally a couple weeks ago he started going everyday...multiple times a day. He was completely potty trained..going number two no problem. I was the happiest person alive. I might as well have won a million dollars. It was such a weight off my shoulders. Now...out of the blue...he is not going again! He is back to not going number 2 and holding it and being scared again. After a couple weeks of going!!! I don't get it. I want to cry so badly. I don't know what to do! I am so frustrated. How can he go for so long and then suddenly go back to being afraid??? I am about to lose it. Its ridiculous. I thought we were past this. Now he is holding it and I'm worried all over again. Ugh. Really???? I don't know what to do.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Kaylanismom809
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Its common for them to go back and forth. Try a rewards system it might help.

DeacnConsMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Quoting Kaylanismom809:

I feel like he was just teasing me when he was going before. lol. But no the rewards don't work...he doesn't get the concept of if you do this you get this. lol And I am just making it worse because I get frustrated and it just puts more pressure on him and scares him even more. I need to just be calm about it but its so difficult.

mydearwatson
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Dont show him your frustration, it will just make him more nervous.Just let him go on his own time. It is common for kids to go back after being completely potty trained, but dont worry too much, he will get there. I wasnt potty trained until i was 4! and they say girls are easier to train, ha! I have some kids at daycare that wont go #2 at school, but at home. maybe he's just not comfortable going in public? Take him to the bathroom about every hr, just until he gets the hang of it. if he doesnt go every time, its ok. a 3 yr old at my daycare has to go about every 30 min. or else he wets himself. He always used to mess in his underwear but then we figured out he goes at the same time every day, so we take him around the same time and he doesnt mess as often. Maybe try figuring out what time of day he usually goes when he does, and take him. Its ok if he doesnt go everyday, I had a 5 yr old in my class that just went to Kindergarten who only goes every 3 or 4 days, and he's fine. So dont sweat. Good luck!

good luck

DeacnConsMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Quoting mydearwatson:

Dont show him your frustration, it will just make him more nervous.Just let him go on his own time. It is common for kids to go back after being completely potty trained, but dont worry too much, he will get there. I wasnt potty trained until i was 4! and they say girls are easier to train, ha! I have some kids at daycare that wont go #2 at school, but at home. maybe he's just not comfortable going in public? Take him to the bathroom about every hr, just until he gets the hang of it. if he doesnt go every time, its ok. a 3 yr old at my daycare has to go about every 30 min. or else he wets himself. He always used to mess in his underwear but then we figured out he goes at the same time every day, so we take him around the same time and he doesnt mess as often. Maybe try figuring out what time of day he usually goes when he does, and take him. Its ok if he doesnt go everyday, I had a 5 yr old in my class that just went to Kindergarten who only goes every 3 or 4 days, and he's fine. So dont sweat. Good luck!

good luck

Thanks. I really don't have to put him on a schedule because he tells me when he has to go. And when he has to go number two he makes it obvious by jumping around and crying. So I know he has to go really bad and then I sit him on the toilet and nothing. I think thats why it stresses me so bad. But he ends up going one way or another eventually...either in his pull up or on the floor. lol Ugh its better than holding if forever though!

wildsun
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:26 PM

We use cause and effect with everything DS does. It's a great system if you can get your son into the idea. For instance DS can't go outside in the morning til he brushes his teeth. No sweets til he actually eats some real food, and the potty stickers work great. The Buzz Lightyear phone calls with the pull ups were a huge encouragement to him. 

Just try to stay positive with him and coerce him to try to go twosies. I know it's hard when you are so frusterated!!

Quoting DeacnConsMom:

Quoting Kaylanismom809:

I feel like he was just teasing me when he was going before. lol. But no the rewards don't work...he doesn't get the concept of if you do this you get this. lol And I am just making it worse because I get frustrated and it just puts more pressure on him and scares him even more. I need to just be calm about it but its so difficult.

kenietta2009
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Hang in there! Every child learns at their own pace. I wish I could get my daughter potty trained but she's only 18 months so I'm afraid she's too young. <_< Even though she loves taking her diaper off and stressing me out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)