Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Extended Read Facing? *EDIT*

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:15 PM
  • 27 Replies

Ok I understand the benefits of it.Here's some breif in site my daughter was my smallest baby 7lbs and 19 inches and was turned forward at 9 months but is now almost 6 and is still in a 5 piont harness she's nothing but knees and elbows! LoL but my sons were forward facing at about 6 months cause at 8lbs 9oz and 21 1/4 for my 3yo and 8lbs 8oz and 21 3/4 for my 1yo by the time they were 6 months old they weighed around 25 pounds and there feet were up on the seat and never mind way to heavy to be in an infant seat? So for the ladies who do extended rear facing how doese your child sit? I read in another post about a 3 yo still rear facing? So just wondering? And feel free to BUMP!

Ok I did buy the convertable carseats mine only were only in infant seats till they could sit up and had neck controll and stayed rear facing in convertable seats till about 6 months cause there feet were up on the seat. And if i tried to turn my almost 6 yo daughter around her legs would hang over the back of the seat just saying none of my kids would go for this they like to have room not be crumpled up. But to each there own. I was just wondering and as for the laws I went to the sherrifs dept. and asked about my baby before I turned him around cause he was so big and throwing a fit and screaming everytime i would put him it the car they said it would be fine cause he had good neck controll and even gave me a card that says they gave me approval in case i got pulled over if i can find it ill scan and post a picture.

I am in TN by the way for the people thatll ask! Next To Johnson City to be exact.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hurleydoll18
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Holy crap they were way too young.  Thank G-d nothing happened to them.  My son has always been on the big side.  He was 7lbs 13 oz, 21 inches at birth (not too big) and was 24lbs and 30 inches by 9 months old.  He still stayed RF.  Babies and toddlers simply criss cross their legs or bunch them up in a way that is comfortable for them.  The way my son sits on the floor is the same way he sits while RF in the car.  He is now just over 3 yrs old and is 39-40lbs and 40 inches tall.  He still fits RF in the XTSL and you can see some pics of him RF in that seat in my siggy. 

ETA:  forgot to add that my son outgrew his infant seat by height at 5 months old so we bought convertible seats so he can stay RF.  Just because they outgrow the infant seat does not mean they need to go FF. 

sweettigeress
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:21 PM

You should NEVER turn around a baby that's younger than a year old. It doesn't matter if they're already at their 20lbs mark. They have to be 1 AND 20lbs. But that's just the minimum. I turned my DD around a little after she turned one because all she did was scream the whole car ride because she couldn't see us. To ME that is more of a danger than turning her since her loud pitch scream could distract the driver and cause an unnecessary wreck. With this next baby, I'm going to try and RF her as long as possible, that's if she's not like her sister.  

in love       toddler girl            expecting girl

Wife to Josh  Mother to Saria   Kairi Saige on Oct. 31

justcallmemom86
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:21 PM

NONE of my boys were turned around until 1 year and 20 lbs thats the law. Connor and Dylan both (although Dyl is still rear facing) were 20lbs at 6-8 months. Connor (4) and Logan (21/2) are forward facing in 5 pnt harnesses. Dylan is 29 lbs at 14 months and still rear faces. Once hes too smooshed up to fit we'll turn him around.

webbymomma
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:23 PM

this. a broken leg is always better than a broken neck. and there has been no evidence that links broken legs to extended rear facing. but yes your children were to young to FF and like hurleydoll18 said a convertable seat is just fine they can sit RF longer we just switched my DD out of her RF seat and turned it FF and she had turned three 8/4/10. my 1 1/2 yo is still RF. 

Quoting hurleydoll18:

Holy crap they were way too young.  Thank G-d nothing happened to them.  My son has always been on the big side.  He was 7lbs 13 oz, 21 inches at birth (not too big) and was 24lbs and 30 inches by 9 months old.  He still stayed RF.  Babies and toddlers simply criss cross their legs or bunch them up in a way that is comfortable for them.  The way my son sits on the floor is the same way he sits while RF in the car.  He is now just over 3 yrs old and is 39-40lbs and 40 inches tall.  He still fits RF in the XTSL and you can see some pics of him RF in that seat in my siggy. 

ETA:  forgot to add that my son outgrew his infant seat by height at 5 months old so we bought convertible seats so he can stay RF.  Just because they outgrow the infant seat does not mean they need to go FF. 

mom2twins9909
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:27 PM

DS is 20 lbs and as soon as danty lil DD hits the 20 lb mark we are off to get Front facing. They hate car rides anymore and I think if they could see us they would like it better. Both a year old tho.

jcsmummy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:27 PM

they cross their legs, bend them, do whatever is comfy. my daughter rearfaced full time til 3years 8 months. think about the way kids sit & lay down. they do things that look mighty uncomfortable to us, yet they are perfectly happy. my son is 2y2m, 30 pounds and 37 inches tall and has tons of room to grow RF. my daughter is 5y8m, 41 pounds and 46ish inches tall, and can still RF in her seat. she doesn't like to FF because her legs just hang there, and they fall asleep on longer trips. she's only got about an inch before she is too tall though.

Bren07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:28 PM

the LAW is 20lbs AND 1yr to forward face. not either or...i am glad nothing happend to ur kids. just because they are too big for an INFANT seat does not mean they are ready for a forward facing seat. they make rear facing convertible seats for a reason. so bigger babies can still RF while they are under a yr and even over..my 14month old is still RF in his seat. it goest to like 35-40lbs RF...

miller060905
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:30 PM

emily was the same way - screamed her head off because she couldn't see us - but riley we rear faced til about 18 months and then only turned her because i got a new carseat that didn't rear face - but she seemed fine with facing the back because she could see emily - so just giving you some hope that the new baby might be OK with rear facing longer!

Quoting sweettigeress:

You should NEVER turn around a baby that's younger than a year old. It doesn't matter if they're already at their 20lbs mark. They have to be 1 AND 20lbs. But that's just the minimum. I turned my DD around a little after she turned one because all she did was scream the whole car ride because she couldn't see us. To ME that is more of a danger than turning her since her loud pitch scream could distract the driver and cause an unnecessary wreck. With this next baby, I'm going to try and RF her as long as possible, that's if she's not like her sister.  

ZoeCY
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:33 PM

My daughter is 2 1/2 and is still rearfacing.  She will continue to rear face until she meets the limits of her seat.  As of right now she just bends her legs a little, really whatever is comfortable for them. 

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:35 PM

My son is going to be 4 on Valentines Day and he is no where near growing out of his RF car seat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)