Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you have to be a certain age to get tubes tied?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:54 PM
  • 34 Replies

Hey everyone i know there are probably thousands of post about this but is there a certain age to get tubes tied? I have one dd and i'm 21. I really want to get them done. Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated. :)

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PhiLLy-StyLe
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I don't think most will do it before age 25.  Reason being they feel you are too young and have a lot of "baby making" years to come and you may regret it.

My friend had 3 by age 23, and they refused her still saying she could potentially change her mind. 

And you are only 21 . . . At 21 I only wanted my one DD.  I'm working on my 4th now and couldn't imagine it any other way.  In the meantime, use some really great birth control.

-42-
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Depends on the doctor. The ones around here want you to be 22 and have at least two kids....kind of silly to me.

"Hate is just a special kind of love we give to
people who suck."

Chniamli
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:58 PM

In my state you either had to be mid to late 20's (I can't remember) or have three children or have a medical reason to do so.

ambermarie2006
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:58 PM

In VA you have to have at least 3 children or 25 years old.

JaivonsMommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:59 PM
I had mine done at 22 and had no problem. I think it depends on where you live and your doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yksurepa_570
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:01 PM
A lot of insurance companys will tell you no unless you have two kids. I am fighting with mine right now. I am pregant with number 4 and they are telling me that I am not aloud to have them done till I turn 25 and that is in 2 years
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama2ETA
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:02 PM
If you have insurance they usually have stipulations on age and how many children, id check into that. If you are paying out of pocket, its a matter of finding a dr that will do it.
I begged a dr to do mine for a year at 21 andf 2 kids, and got pregnant lol because he told me to wait a year. I switched drs for my third pregnancy and the dr did it at 22 the day after I delivered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomaFied
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:03 PM

where im at its 3 or more kids or to be 25... luckily i found a doctor who agreed to do mine.. i had two kids at 22....... now tho.. 2 years later... i regret it. i would wait... just take birth control.

Mama2ETA
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:03 PM
My insurance covers after age of 21, no child requirements. That is up to the dr by my insurance policy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.mandabear.
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:04 PM

My best friend is 22 and has no children and she got the essure procedure done. It's a more effective and less evasive form of sterilization than tubal litigation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)