Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who goes grocery shopping and how much do you spend?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:15 PM
  • 55 Replies

I'm recently married and for now, I'm doing the grocery shopping. My husband has always been used to buying for himself or in the past a long term girlfriend as well. We've numerous fights or I guess arguments I should say over the grocery bill. He is convinced, you can't tell him anything, that he can go grocery shopping and get enough food to last a family of 3 for $100 for two weeks. I literally laughed. I know I'm not the BEST grocery shopper but I"m pretty sure it costs more than just $200 a MONTH for a family. When I go grocery shopping I usually spend about $60-$75/week in groceries. Maybe I"m just shopping at the wrong places I don't know....

So I"m curious to know, in your family, who does the shopping and what does your monthly bill come to? For at LEAST a family of 3.?

Mommie's little baby doll!!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
miller060905
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM

i do the grocery shopping - dh hates going - i go into the city (about a hour and a half away) once a month and spend about $250 -$300 but that's groceries, toiletries, and a few extra litle things.  then about 2 weeks later i have to run into the smaller town (about 35 minutes away) and spend about $50 - $75 for things we might have run out of like milk, bread, juice, ect... so overall i spend anywhere between $300 and $400 for an entire month - we have a family of 4 - Me, DH, 5yr old DD and almost 4 yr old DD.

PhiLLy-StyLe
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I do one huge trip once a month.  I buy everything from shampoo to meat to detergent to cereal to eggs  . . .  I spend around $300

In our house though, we don't cook every night.  Including weekends, there are only 3 nights that I will cook. - On the other nights, no one is home because of work schedules!

steffielou_who
by Stefanie on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Oh geez.. This is hilarious bc I go to the store once a week & spend $150 a week for a family of 4..

Renee02
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:54 PM

I always go since it normally falls on a week day when hjubby is a work..But sometimes will go at night so he can watch the kids..BUT if we are able to wait till weekend, which is rare, then I make him come with me..I could never let him go grocery shopping by himself LOL..He will buy just junk and soda for like $100 lol..He has done it before lol..Man was I made lol..We spend usually around $300 every 2wks..

dreamhopefaith
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I have started going once a month to get everything and then again for things that don't keep (fruit, milk, etc).  I was going once a week and spending about $100... I did the once a month thing last month and spent $200- $250 for the whole month.  (that was just food, no tolietries or things like that).  It helps to cut down on the number or trips I have found. 

Ally-Mady
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Well we just added a 4th.  But when it was just the 3 of us we spend around $500 per month sometimes a little more if we buy more junk food.

nerdymom28
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM

I probably spend about $350 a month on 3 people.  I shop at Walmart (only grocery store for 30+ miles) when I need things like meat and produce and dairy...but if I only need regular shelf items I shop at Dollar General. 

mandafox
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:58 PM
I go biweekly (on payday) and spend around $200, so $400 a month. We are a family of 3 1/4 lol. We have a little one due next month that we won't have to budget in for awhile. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melaniecerise
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:58 PM

I make the grocery list, we go shopping together. I plan my meals ahead of time. It is me, dh, 3 yo ds and 2 yo dd, and we shop at save alot. for two weeks I can spend about $100 maybe $110 if I get snacks, sometimes it even lasts longer then two weeks.

ColinsMommy99
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I always go because I plan the meals.  I spend about $100 every two weeks at the grocery store and about $75 at Costco (some weeks I don't do Costco though).  We have a family of 3.  When he was on furlough from BNSF, I had to get creative though...I would shop at like 3 different places depending on the sales to keep it at about $250 a month.  Just shop sales and coupons for a while along with your regular shopping to get a stockpile of the basics going, then when you do your regular shopping you'll just need to fill the gaps (and reload the basics every now and then).  Have him do the shopping and see what he comes home with.  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)