Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

alcoholic help

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:59 PM
  • 9 Replies
my father in law is an alcoholic and me and my husband want to stage an intervention type thing. Do any of you guys know how to go about doing this? what and how to say that he needs help and that we dont approve of his drinking anymore. Please anything will be helpful. thank you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Marimaru
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I would get together as many family members as possible, and have each person ready with a story about how his drinking has directly affected them, so he could see how he's hurting people.

3angels23
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I agree with what Mari said also I would let him know that he needs to understand that your kids are your number one priority and that they can not be subject to his problem any longer....Find the treatment options  for him, and make sure that someone can take him wherever needed when you have the intervention, make sure that it is his choice, and you aren't forcing him, if he doesn't make the choice himself then treatment will be unsuccessful.  I lived with and had a child with a drug addict and alcoholic, and when I realized he wasn't going to change I left.....I'm soo much better now, it's a horrible horrible cycle, and a terrible disease, so good luck!!!!

JMKristy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Well, I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I know there is a show called intervention about this type of stuff. I would watch it. Maybe it will help you figure out what you need to do. Good luck!

KLBB1234
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:52 PM
You can actually call intervention or even look it up online and they can help you. They go through insurance to help your family member. Whatever your familys insurance accepts is where they will send you to get you some help. Good luck to you and your family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I would talk to AlAnon or AA they should be able to help you find someone to do this! Good Luck!

angel112
by on Oct. 4, 2010 at 9:09 PM
I wanted to thank everyone who helped me out on this. We did the intervention and it went amazingly well. He addmited he had a problem and is going to get help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Joeysmama012709
by on Oct. 4, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Oh how awesome is that!?!?! Its still going to be a rough journey, but make sure you let him know you will be there for him during that journey of treatment center help.

Quoting angel112:

I wanted to thank everyone who helped me out on this. We did the intervention and it went amazingly well. He addmited he had a problem and is going to get help.

Courtney610
by Courtney on Oct. 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Quoting angel112:

That's awesome to hear!  I hope everything goes well!

lisanrich
by on Oct. 4, 2010 at 9:56 PM

There is a million numbers for AA you can call and they can help send you in the right direction. My Hubby had a drinking problem for a few years. He has been Sober for 3 yrs now!! AA is very helpfull. Also Alanon is very helpfull to the family members. The may also be able to help you.praying

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)