Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long can I freeze home made baby food for?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:19 PM
  • 12 Replies

I want to make my own food, but I don't want to have to make it daily so I read about freezing it in ice trays and letting it defrost. How long can it be frozen for and still be good?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:23 PM

In my reciepe books it says 8 weeks. I would freeze it in the trays and then transfer to a freezer storage bag.

aydansmomma04
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Up to 3 months is best, but in a deep freeze you can freeze it for 6 months. Some say to be on the safe side to use after a month.

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:23 PM

And the reason you don't want to keep it frozen for to long is so no nutrients are lost.

mstevens10
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:24 PM

you have recipe books!? I'll have to look for some Thanks

mstevens10
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:24 PM

That makes sense!

Quoting PeaceMuch:

And the reason you don't want to keep it frozen for to long is so no nutrients are lost.

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Yes I do!! I have Top 100 Baby Purees by Annabel Karmel and So Easy Baby Food by Joan Ahlers and Cheryl Tallman. The better one is Top 100 Baby Purees. Check Amazon.com cause you can find used ones CHEAP!

Quoting mstevens10:

you have recipe books!? I'll have to look for some Thanks

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:28 PM

And I made baby food once a month! :) It was so easy and cheap. I bought baby food when I had my oldest but got smart with my 2nd. ;)

mandafox
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:32 PM
I have a cookbook called cooking for baby. It's great. It's got lots of great info and goes beyond purees to toddler foods and helps you with what is best for what stage your baby is in. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMKristy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I would make about a months worth of baby food at a time. I used a food saver to seal portions. I was able to pull it directly from the freezer and soak it in hot water to thaw and warm for immediate serving!

sweettigeress
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:47 PM

What do you use to make the baby food? I see all these baby food food grinders. I'm planning on making my own baby food this time around too. 

Quoting PeaceMuch:

And I made baby food once a month! :) It was so easy and cheap. I bought baby food when I had my oldest but got smart with my 2nd. ;)

in love       toddler girl            expecting girl

Wife to Josh  Mother to Saria   Kairi Saige on Oct. 31

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)