Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

litter box Help plez??!!!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM
  • 17 Replies

today we went to walmart and got some toys,litter and a litter box for our kitty oreo. any advice on getting oreo to use her box would be great! also we got her some wet cat food bc its all she will eat for some reason 12cans for $5.80 i wish she would eat dry food  lol does anyone know if fancy feast is a good food for them. we also went to see santa today and guess what me 4 yr old asked for..a ds..omg my 4 yr old wants a ds. sorry i just find that funny! anyways plez help with my cat if u can?

SO I CHECKED THE INGREDENTS IN THE CAT FOOD AND THE 1ST 2 ARE CHICKEN AND CHICKEN BROTH SO THATS GOOD I GUESS RIGHT?? WE GOT HER FANCEY FEAST CLASSIC CHICKEN.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarah_Christine
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:03 PM

When we get a new kitty we have her in only one room with her litterbox till she gets used ot it. Just keep putting her in it a bunch of times and eventually she'll get the hint, it's in her instinct. Then after she's got the box down I'd let her into the rest of the house. As for the food, gradually mix in dry food and she'll come around. Her teeth might be too tiny for kibble right now

bunnywzrd
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM

My daughter is 3 and can play a DS. It may not be a bad idea for your child. Helps Miya a lot when we are sitting in a waiting room at a doctors.

As for the cat. Just keep showing her where the litter box is. Most cats will automatically go there cause they want to scratch and cover it up. They are naturally pretty clean animals. And if you dont want to buy wet food just buy dry food. Oreo will eat it when she gets hungry enough. We don't feed our wet food cause it makes their poop smell a lot worse.

ikesmommy200
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM
This is how I've always done stuff with my cats.

Quoting Sarah_Christine:

When we get a new kitty we have her in only one room with her litterbox till she gets used ot it. Just keep putting her in it a bunch of times and eventually she'll get the hint, it's in her instinct. Then after she's got the box down I'd let her into the rest of the house. As for the food, gradually mix in dry food and she'll come around. Her teeth might be too tiny for kibble right now

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Razelda
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Scratch her paws in the litter. I've never had to litter train a cat. I just do that once and they're good to go, even as kittens.

Razelda
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Also (Directly off Consumer Reports):

No wet food brand draws more praise than Wellness. All varieties are high in protein andhave all of the nutrients cats need so they can be used as the sole diet. Fish meal is safely preserved with vitamin E. Many varieties are completely grain-free, though some include higher-quality grains, such as brown rice.

If your local pet store doesn't stock Natural Balance canned cat food, it's possible to buy reasonably good cat food at your supermarket. The key is to read the labels to pick only varieties that don't include undesirable ingredients such as corn or byproducts.

One example is Fancy Feast Flaked Fish & Shrimp Feast, which lists fish, fish broth and shrimp as its first three ingredients and is free of undesirable grains, glutens or byproducts. You'll have to read the labels carefully, though, to pick the best varieties.

Experts say that wet food is better for your cat because it contains a high percentage of water, ensuring your cat stays hydrated.

Quoting Razelda:

Scratch her paws in the litter. I've never had to litter train a cat. I just do that once and they're good to go, even as kittens.

Izaclilsunshine
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:16 PM

we always put the litter box and food say your dry food in the bathroom and left him in ther for 2 or 3 days just untill he sees thats were he gos to potty and thats what hes sposed to eat you can always try somthing else but this worked for all 3 kittys

lenoxclan
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM

This has always worked for me during our kitty times.

Quoting Razelda:

Lusty Lenox

save the date

iluvualready21
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Try mixing the wet with dry and slowly take it out so it just dry. Do that over a month or so. Wet food is actually bad for their teeth and weight. If they have bad teeth it can also lead to heart problems in the future. Fancy feast is not that great of food to use. Its like mc donalds for cats. Science diet, eukanuba and iams are better. iams is thye cheapest and you can get it at most grocery stores. As far as getting her to use the box you just have to keep putting her in it through out the day until she gets it. Cats are very picky so if its in a high traffic area she may not use it. sometimes it even takes changing the litter until they like it. If ya have anymore animal questions just let me know. :)

yuveria
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:25 PM

cats are automatically trained to go to the box its in their nature. if the cat is older there might be some bladder issues or behavior issues that require medication as far as for the food look for a brand that sais its been in a food trial and approved brands like science diet, iams, and wellness are the best ones out there

othermom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Just take the cat to the litter box frequently, that is what I have done. If the cat poops or pees anywhere else, take her to the litter box.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)