Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Half siblings

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:42 AM
  • 13 Replies
So I have recently found out I have a half brother who is 10 days younger than me (big surprise to my mom) anyway I am trying to get in touch with him now to try and build a relationship with him. My father wants nothing to do with him (long story but I don't care what he thinks bc I don't speak to my dad either) I have no idea where to begin or what to expect we are both grown and have children and spouses we are both 26. Has anyone else gone through this? Any suggestions or stories u can share that had a good ending when meeting a sibling for the first time? Thanks in advance ladies I am just so nervous!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyinindiana
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:52 AM
I have i half sibling that i met for the first time when i was 16. He is about 18 years older than me. My mom gave him up for adoption because she felt like she couldnt give him the life he deserved at the time. I have only seen him that time and at our mothers funeral but he has made it clear that its not really comfortable for him to get to know "family" after growing up with other people. I say at least try to meet him and give it a try or you will wonder what if
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
navybeauty88
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:13 AM
I have 2 half brothers that I met for the first time in 2009. I was 21. And we all were nervous but once we started talking it just all flowed naturally. The nerves are normal. I'm sure it will be fine once you guys meet up. Just remember you all have 26 years to catch up on so you won't run out of conversation. Me and my brothers actually talked for hours and still had more to talk about. But it started getting late so we had to go home lol. But we all have a pretty good relationship and I'm glad I have them in my life now. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shy_Dia
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:28 AM

my son has 2 half siblings. he's met his older bro (by 11 months) 4 times- but it was all when he was under 2... and then his half sister (about 18 months younger) like 10 times when 4-5 years old... last we seen her was March '10. probably wont see them again until the kids are older and want to get to know each other... and thats only if they are told that they have half siblings out there. (their dad is currently in rehab and doesnt even talk with the oldest boy's mom... i'm hoping once he gets out, he goes for visitation and then DS will get to know his siblings.... but the chances of that happening? slim to none).

i know thats not helpful. lol if you have a name, i'd look him up on any social network; facebook, myspace. how do you know that you have a half sibling? can you get more information, like how to find him, through that person?

good luck in finding him, and creating a relationship with him. =)

august_baby_09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:49 AM

Quoting Shy_Dia:

my son has 2 half siblings. he's met his older bro (by 11 months) 4 times- but it was all when he was under 2... and then his half sister (about 18 months younger) like 10 times when 4-5 years old... last we seen her was March '10. probably wont see them again until the kids are older and want to get to know each other... and thats only if they are told that they have half siblings out there. (their dad is currently in rehab and doesnt even talk with the oldest boy's mom... i'm hoping once he gets out, he goes for visitation and then DS will get to know his siblings.... but the chances of that happening? slim to none).

i know thats not helpful. lol if you have a name, i'd look him up on any social network; facebook, myspace. how do you know that you have a half sibling? can you get more information, like how to find him, through that person?

good luck in finding him, and creating a relationship with him. =)

anything is helpful thank you :) its a long twisted story lol but the short version is my dad wouldn't let us see his mom and i have recently started speaking to her again and found out about this guy.  well i had heard about him before but my dad just told us its not his kid it was his brothers.  well started to speak to my grandmother again i found out the women he got pregnant actually did a dna test to prove my dad was this kids father too and it came back 99.9% that this boy is his.  soooo then he says its not his is still his brother well helloooo they aren't identical twins so they don't share dna so there is no way its the brothers.  so i know it is his kid and i do know his name but he isn't on facebook i have looked but i did manage to get ahold of his mom and asked for a email address or a phone number or something so i could get in touch with him so now i'm just waiting to hear back from her.

bnj03
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:50 AM

My story isn't such a good one.  We had a half-sibling show up out of nowhere just last April.  I was 25, she just turned 25 the day we found out.  I met her for the first time in June 2010.  I didn't get to talk to her much and when we did get to talk I didn't like some of the things that she would say (i.e. ni****).  That was our first disagreement because I didn't want my DD to hear that word.  

Now I am uneasy around her. I don't really trust her.  I feel like she is taking advantage of my dad and step-mom.  She moved into their place only after a month of knowing them. I don't really see her taking care of her 2 kids when I am there, it is always my dad or step-mom doing it.  

Sorry I am was starting to go off on my own little rant.  I thought it would be nice to have another siblling, but it hasn't turned out nice really. We are pleasant to each other when around each other, but that is about it.   I don't want to rain on your excitement but I wanted to let you know it may not be all sunshine and rainbows at first. 

If you want the whole story on how I found out and everything you can PM me.  The way we found out may have something to do with the way I feel.

august_baby_09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:54 AM
I will pm u once I get home and get on the comp this phone can be a pain sometimes and I'm sorry it didn't work out. That's what I'm afraid of too bc I have a pretty dysfunctional family.

Quoting bnj03:

My story isn't such a good one.  We had a half-sibling show up out of nowhere just last April.  I was 25, she just turned 25 the day we found out.  I met her for the first time in June 2010.  I didn't get to talk to her much and when we did get to talk I didn't like some of the things that she would say (i.e. ni****).  That was our first disagreement because I didn't want my DD to hear that word.  

Now I am uneasy around her. I don't really trust her.  I feel like she is taking advantage of my dad and step-mom.  She moved into their place only after a month of knowing them. I don't really see her taking care of her 2 kids when I am there, it is always my dad or step-mom doing it.  

Sorry I am was starting to go off on my own little rant.  I thought it would be nice to have another siblling, but it hasn't turned out nice really. We are pleasant to each other when around each other, but that is about it.   I don't want to rain on your excitement but I wanted to let you know it may not be all sunshine and rainbows at first. 

If you want the whole story on how I found out and everything you can PM me.  The way we found out may have something to do with the way I feel.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pooh_williams
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:16 AM

I have a half sister that i did not know about untill 2008 she was was 12. i found out at my grandmothers funeral when my dad stoped by to see if my mother needed anything. (my mom and dad have a good firendship for my sake) I was blown away. I meet her a few months later at christmas. It was shocking because my sister is a mini me. we have an okay relationship. When ever her granmother will let her spend tme with me she will come to the house and spend hours if she can get away with it days untill she is forced to go home. i have a half brother that i have never meet and he lives near or around chicogo i seen him once when he came home from the hospital then his mom took off with him and then when she decided to get child support she showed up out of the blue. i have yet to get to see him because she is always moving and when she is here with him at her moms she will not alow me to see him. it sucks i would like to know my brother but i guess ill have to wait untill he is old enough to meet him.

august_baby_09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:06 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2twins9909
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I don't know. I have half sibling and I could care less if I ever meet them. Sorry I'm no help.

UG0tN0tin0nM3
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I dont have any siblings but GL to you hope all works out well for ya =]

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)