Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

15 month old question

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:55 AM
  • 20 Replies

So my son is 15 months old and lately has been driving me bonkers. He has started getting super clingy and if i am not carrying him around or holding him when he wants he freaks out and throws huge tantrums. Any time he doesn't get his way with something he starts high pitch screaming and throwing himself on the floor. I am a stay at home mom so he doesn't get left alone with other people. I just cannot carry him around all the time, I am also 5 months pregnant and it hurts my back after a while. Im just over the tantrums and loud screaming. Any pointers?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rockinmomto2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:59 AM

Good luck! LOL. I have a 14 month old, and while she can become occupied with her older siblings, she wants me constantly. If I have to go somewhere else, I just let her come with me. If I'm in the kitchen, I stick her in her high chair with some cheerios, toys, and a sippy. If I have to take her upstairs, I put her in her jumperoo. That way she's with me, but I'm not actually holding on to her constantly.

ljgmom2009
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:01 AM
Oh gosh if you find a solution to this please let me know! My ds is 13mths and just started this and I'm due in april...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shilohsmama425
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:03 AM

breathe... they stop eventually. i would hug my dd and hold her tight for a minute and then tell her, when i couldn't have her with me (smoke break, etc) "Mama loves you so much, and mama always comes back for you. i'm going outside/ in my room/ in the bathroom for a minute, and then i'll be right back. wait for me here. i ALWAYS come back." sometimes i'd give her a puzzle or turn on a five-minute sprout show episode and tell her i'd be back before she was finished.

now at 2 1/2, she tells people, "it's okay for mom to go to work cause she always comes back for me. she doesn't stay gone forever cause she loves me." it's taken awhile, but she totally gets the concept now...

Momma2Imo
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:05 AM
Don't be afraid to set him down and let him cry it out if you feel yourself getting overwhelmed ....my son is the same age and I know how hard it is...its best to let him throw a tantrums in his crib where he is safe and so you can breathe than for you to get upset and overwhelmed :( message mw if you need a friend momma
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma2Imo
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:06 AM
I also do this :)

Quoting shilohsmama425:

breathe... they stop eventually. i would hug my dd and hold her tight for a minute and then tell her, when i couldn't have her with me (smoke break, etc) "Mama loves you so much, and mama always comes back for you. i'm going outside/ in my room/ in the bathroom for a minute, and then i'll be right back. wait for me here. i ALWAYS come back." sometimes i'd give her a puzzle or turn on a five-minute sprout show episode and tell her i'd be back before she was finished.

now at 2 1/2, she tells people, "it's okay for mom to go to work cause she always comes back for me. she doesn't stay gone forever cause she loves me." it's taken awhile, but she totally gets the concept now...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samellis09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:08 AM

See i try to put him in his chair and stuff in my dining room but he hates being pinned down, he climbs out of his high chair and hes learned to climb all of my baby gates. he wont sit in any kind bouncers or jumpers anymore. He is ALL boy and loves to run but he thinks he needs to cling to my legs. I cant go to the bathroom or take a shower without him freaking out. I use my play pen and his crib when needed because he can't climb out of those yet

Momof4kids9621
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:10 AM
Well both of my younger kids are like this, there almost 2 and my dd just turned 3. They constantly want to be by me or on my lap, it's draining after a while, I thought it was a stage but at 3 I think she's getting worse not better. My son is better about it than my dd but I think she's more insecure I'm a sahm too and if we go to peoples houses that they don't know I have one on my leg and one in my arms! Ughh personally I think its a stage every child goes through it's just some take longer to get over it than others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samellis09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:13 AM

yeah i put him in his play pen for the bad tantrums because im afraid he will kick me and hurt the baby im growing. If I try to hold him when he gets mad he just kicks the crap out of me

samellis09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:15 AM

The thing is he does GREAT at other peoples houses. If i have OB appointments I take him to a friends house for the hour and he doesn't act that way, he doesn't even cry when I leave. I dont understand its only at home he acts a fool

emmiesmommy1113
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:18 AM

DD is the same way and she is 16 months.

The only thing I can suggest, which you won't want to do, ignore him. If he throws something, don't give it back. It was fine when they were doing it in an exploratory way but now they are doing to "train us like dogs" as my therapist says. Lol. If he throws his cup, don't give it back. Wait until he calms down then set it where he can see it and get it for himself.

I'm not sure about the clinginess. DD goes back and forth with DH and I and has not started the crying when I leave the room thing. She's probably tired of being stuck with me all the time. Lol.

Good luck and if you find a solution that stops all of the tantrums, let me know!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)