Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:27 PM
  • 3 Replies

I have a very sensitive nose and stomach. I can smell the slightest scents, when most people say they smell nothing.

Like others, one of my pet peeves is the bad breath of others. If I am forced to engage in a conversation with someone with unfresh breath, I panic a little, may make faces, completely ignore the conversation, say something or attempt to move away unnoticed. However, I have been told recently that my reaction is ridiculously apparent.

My question is, how do you deal with someone with really bad breath? I am not talking about the seldom-bad breath after having garlic all over your pizza at lunch bad breath. I am talking about every single day, smells like something died in your throat bad breath.

For example, you are at work...Your supervisor comes and leans over your shoulder and spews the wrath of his/her breath in your area while discussing some project.

Would it make a difference if this person was a loved one? How would you tell them that their breath is making your queasy without being hurtful? What if it was your own partner??

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
JMKristy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Well, my husband used to have chronic bad breath from smoking, thank god he quit! But I was honest about it and tell him he needed to do something. And if we were out where he couldn't I would give him gum! BUT... i have no clue how you would handle it on a professional basis.

Kim3787
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I actually JUST handed a co-worker a piece of gum because his breath smelled bad. However, I'm cool with this guy. There are a couple of older guys at work that I swear NEVER clean their dentures and I want to vomit every time they come close to me. However, I keep my mouth shut because they are my superiors.

xxxAthena
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM

i don't tell them anything..and i ahve "wolverine senses"as my husband puts it lol.  im not going to hurt someone else's feelings i just take the discomfort for the short amount of time and then smell some flowers afterwards lol...you should keep a plant on youdesk..or coffee beans..they clear your noise of smells too. I cant go down the cleaning isles of grocery stores because the odor literally gives me a headache and when i was pregnant it was even worse..i walked to the front of a grocery store and couldn't go in...it smelt like rotten garbage to me..couldn't eat raw veggies because of it too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)