Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can I do for him, so he won't feel left out??

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:57 PM
  • 8 Replies
First Background:

My 7 year old is lactose intolerant. His intolerance is kind of weird. Like he can have pizza, and mac n cheese. It may make him a little bloated, but nothing that keeps him from still wanting those foods.But things like ice cream, and frozen yougurt make him very sick.(TMI) Vomiting, diarrhea (sp?) sick. He has been this way since he was an infant, so he is well aware of what he can and can't have.

Anyways, I just got a note from his teacher saying that they will be haveing an icecream party for Valentines day. I don't want them to change the party just because, my son can't have icecream. But I don't want him to feel left out either. He was already hurt telling me that he thinks they are haveing rootbeer floats.

So, is there something I can make for him that is similar?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
OBImomma
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:59 PM
What about the lactose free vanilla ice cream? My aunt and cousin both eat it. You could add some rootbeer and make him a float
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_of_one_2010
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:59 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowmommy0406
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Dairy Free Vanilla Ice Cream

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 ½ cup soymilk powder
  • 3 ½ cups soymilk
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1 ½ cup sugar
  • 1 T. vanilla
  • 1 t. apple cider vinegar

Preparation:

1. In a blender, combine the soymilk powder, water and soymilk until well blended.

2. Combine the soymilk mixture with the sugar, vanilla and vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stirring constantly, cook until the mixture is thick and syrupy in consistency. Pour the mixture into a 9"x 5"metal loaf pan or other medium-sized metal or aluminum pan. Place the pan in the freezer uncovered for 1 hour.

3. Remove the pan from the freezer and scrape the ice cream into a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds, or until mixture is creamy. Place the mixture back in the pan and back into the freezer. Repeat this procedure 3 more times at 30 minute intervals, allowing the ice cream to chill in the freezer covered for 1 hour after the last blend before serving.

4. Serve ice cream cold, adding your choice of toppings if desired.

KREP
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:05 PM
I didn't even know they had lactose free ice cream.

Do they sell it at Walmart?

Quoting OBImomma:

What about the lactose free vanilla ice cream? My aunt and cousin both eat it. You could add some rootbeer and make him a float
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KREP
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:07 PM
Thank you!!

Quoting snowmommy0406:

Dairy Free Vanilla Ice Cream

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 ½ cup soymilk powder

• 3 ½ cups soymilk

• 2/3 cup water

• 1 ½ cup sugar

• 1 T. vanilla

• 1 t. apple cider vinegar

Preparation:

1. In a blender, combine the soymilk powder, water and soymilk until well blended.

2. Combine the soymilk mixture with the sugar, vanilla and vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stirring constantly, cook until the mixture is thick and syrupy in consistency. Pour the mixture into a 9"x 5"metal loaf pan or other medium-sized metal or aluminum pan. Place the pan in the freezer uncovered for 1 hour.

3. Remove the pan from the freezer and scrape the ice cream into a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds, or until mixture is creamy. Place the mixture back in the pan and back into the freezer. Repeat this procedure 3 more times at 30 minute intervals, allowing the ice cream to chill in the freezer covered for 1 hour after the last blend before serving.

4. Serve ice cream cold, adding your choice of toppings if desired.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:17 PM
I'm not sure. I think they have it at Kroger. I don't shop at walmart so not sure...sorry. they have tons of lactose free studf. I just made lactose free triple chocolate cupcakes for my aunt.

Quoting KREP:

Quoting OBImomma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KREP
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:26 PM
Oh,we don't have a krogers. But I'll still look at the stores we have.

Quoting OBImomma:

I'm not sure. I think they have it at Kroger. I don't shop at walmart so not sure...sorry. they have tons of lactose free studf. I just made lactose free triple chocolate cupcakes for my aunt.

Quoting KREP:

Quoting OBImomma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:30 PM
I would bet one of the big grocery stotes would have it or a health food store.

Quoting KREP:

Oh,we don't have a krogers. But I'll still look at the stores we have.

Quoting OBImomma:

Quoting KREP:

Quoting OBImomma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)