Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Apparently, 1st graders + Internet = "Naked Girls"!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:42 PM
  • 30 Replies
So, I'm still stressing out about this situation & need some advice.

We don't have internet access at home (except for my cell phone) Which the kids are not allowed to use. My 11 year old has needed the internet for a few school projects, so we simply walk 2 blocks to the library.

Today, when DH picked the kids up from school, my DS (6 years old) was crying. He was upset that he had missed recess. Apparently he shared a computer (with a classmate) in computer class & the other student searched "naked girls".

My DS was extremely upset over the whole thing. Not because he had missed recess, but because he said he was "embarrassed".

DH went into the school & discussed things with the teacher. He explained that he doesn't believe that Joey would be the "brains" of that situation, but was guilty by association & rightfully disciplined for it. The teacher agreed with all of that.

Here's what is bothering me.... WHY aren't those things blocked on SCHOOL computers? I understand that we are a small parochial school & all of our things are donated, BUT.... Shouldn't there be a child block on a school internet?

PLUS, WHY weren't they being supervised?!? THIS is the #1 reason why I DON'T have internet on my home computer! I don't have the time to be supervising them 24/7 when they are on. So, without internet, they pop in a CD-ROM & don't have access to anything bad!

So, how do I approach this situation, ladies? I'm REALLY stressed over this now!

ALSO.... I'm friends with DS's teacher on facebook & her status tonight is "What a bad end to my school day! I'm still really offended!"

It makes me wonder if she was referring to my DH & was already offended that he even brought it up with her! DH said he was p*ssed at first & asked why the kids were unsupervised, but that the convorsation ended friendly & they even joked & laughed.

UGH! IDK what to do! I LOVE this teacher & this school, BUT I feel like something needs to be said! What do you think? Would you say something or just leave it alone?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robe739
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:44 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweettigeress
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:44 PM

eek...i don't know mama. that stuff should be blocked. I would say something. Let them know there are parental control on computers. make them seem like the idiot.

sandjmom99
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM

i agree i think it should be blocked and that you should try to talk to her at school about it, or maybe the principle?

robe739
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:49 PM
Are there FREE parental controls on the internet?

I know there are free downloads for syp-ware & virus protectors. I'm not very computer smart. So, yeah. I'm the wrong person to be telling them what exactly to do! LOL!

Quoting sweettigeress:

eek...i don't know mama. that stuff should be blocked. I would say something. Let them know there are parental control on computers. make them seem like the idiot.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gastromama2007
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:50 PM
We had parental locks on the school computers in high school! Why dont they have them in elementary/middle school?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robe739
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:51 PM
Yea. The principal is definitely my next step if the teacher isn't understanding & apologetic! KWIM? UGH! Hopefully she will listen & we can figure something out.

Quoting sandjmom99:

i agree i think it should be blocked and that you should try to talk to her at school about it, or maybe the principle?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robe739
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:52 PM
Idk? That's what I was thinking. They go to a private school though & all of our equipment is donated. Maybe parental internet controls are expensive? IDK? That is the only thing I can think of? :-/

Quoting Gastromama2007:

We had parental locks on the school computers in high school! Why dont they have them in elementary/middle school?!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomTo3Little1s
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM
Definitely should have blocks!!!!

Our school had blocks!!!

I'm sorry!

I am sooooo sorry!

I would be so upset...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gastromama2007
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM
Like at my highschool we couldn't even go on sites like CM or chatrooms and def not naked picture sites! I'm sorry mama! This situation is messed up :( the school is to blame here!

Quoting robe739:

Idk? That's what I was thinking. They go to a private school though & all of our equipment is donated. Maybe parental internet controls are expensive? IDK? That is the only thing I can think of? :-/

Quoting Gastromama2007:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
novachick
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM

hmm...I dunno. But I would definitely be bitching about getting a block on those computers and better supervision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)