Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

VA Benefits

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:27 AM
  • 8 Replies

I figured I would start here-I have noticed some of you have spouses in the military or have been in the military yourself. 

My niece and I had a huge blowout Friday. This morning she called me crying and upset about the things she said to me and apologized. Some of the things she had said were very hurtful and I was going to hang up the phone because I honestly didn't want to deal with her right then. Then she tells me she "there is something wrong with me. I can't control myself, thoughts just race through my head and I can't sort them out" Bipolar runs in our family-my 2nd oldest brother is bipolar. I asked her if she thought she was bipolar and she said she has thought she was for awhile. We have had our ups and downs but if she is bipolar I want her to get help for her son's sake-he is 5 months old. Right now she doesn't have any money and she doesn't want to go to the ER because she would be stuck with another bill and wants to know where she stands with the VA (she's ex Navy) before she does anything else. She was in the Navy for 6 months then broke both of her legs during a drill and was medically discharged with full medical benefits. But she is under the impression she had to be in combat to get any mental health benefits. So I figured I would ask here if that was the case. Please no bashing-there is a 5 month old baby involved and I'm relieved she knows something is wrong and wants to get help. Thanks ladies.  

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
swesolek6
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:28 AM

idk bump

Salsacookies
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I would think that full medical benefits includes everything...Is there somebody she can talk to in the Navy that is in the insurance side?

sweettigeress
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I'm glad she admitted she needs help. omg...I wanted to wring her f*ing neck for all the shit she was saying to you.

JessicaEOH
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:35 AM

She should make a call to her local VA hospital...I've heard they're not the best, though, which sucks....

Alexsi1
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:58 AM

We live in Cincy, the VA here isn't that great. She's calling tomorrow.

Quoting JessicaEOH:

She should make a call to her local VA hospital...I've heard they're not the best, though, which sucks....

Alexsi1
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM

I actually feel pretty bad-I should have stepped back and really looked at the things she was saying and realized it wasn't really her saying them. And looking back, alot of her behaviors over the years add up-she has had shopping sprees and maxed out credit cards in days time, bought vehicles only to take them back days later, flying off the handle for no reason.

Quoting sweettigeress:

I'm glad she admitted she needs help. omg...I wanted to wring her f*ing neck for all the shit she was saying to you.

I.am.Mommy
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM
I'm not sure if she'll have any luck with mental health benefit. A friend of mine did 2 tours in iraq and had to fight hard for his 70%. I believe a mental condition afflicted while in active duty. Not to sure though. But I do know she could go to the VA for mental health so have her call. Hopefully she'll get the help she needs. GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JessicaEOH
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I do, too!!!  My uncle just died, and they tried getting help from the VA, but they weren't any help at all!!!  My cousins said they walked in there, and it was gross!  We were at University Hospital (another uncle), and they said it was cleaner than the VA....It's a shame that they don't take care of our veterans/service men and women the way they should :(

Quoting Alexsi1:

We live in Cincy, the VA here isn't that great. She's calling tomorrow.

Quoting JessicaEOH:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)